Along the FGLK ROW

rhoward

S.L.O.&W. Trainman
Thought I would through some images of the old buildings seen from the Finger Lakes Scenic Railway from Geneva to Solvay (Near Syracuse), NY. At one time these were mostly industries that were served by the railroad.

These are in no particular order along the ROW and I can't identify the original use of most of the buildings. The first two are of the Roundhouse in Auburn, NY.

AuburnRoundhouse.png

AuburnRoundhouse2w.png

There quite obviously was a siding here. This building has seen some better days:
ROW1w.png

This is a scrap yard of some kind:

ROW4w.png

A couple other buildings in bad shape:

ROW10w.png

ROW14w.png

The last ones have found a new life:

ROW9w.png

ROW13w.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of nice scratchbuilding ideas there, Ray. I guess one of the things you have to model if you're in the modern era is lots of decrepit structures that used to be served by the railroad.

Most people don't see or remember the seedier side of ROW. Most go through areas now abandoned or deteriorated badly. Everyone wants to see and model the bright side. Nice pixs

I am familiar with most of the images except for the 5th one down... can you advise where it is located on the FGLK ROW? Finger Lakes is one of my favorites

thanks!

Bob, I have sent a couple of e-mails out to see what I can find out about that building. I will let you know if I get anything about it. It is a neat old structure that would be fun to build. I think it is between Auburn and Seneca Falls, but that is about all I know at the moment.

Alco, that is the Auburn Roundhouse that was originally on the Lehigh Valley. The turntable is long gone and the building is now used for storage. That, unfortunately is about all I can come up with about it. Perhaps some others may know more...... There are a few photos of it on the web (do a search on Roundhouse Auburn NY and you get a few hits).

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool pix.

I'd love to shoot that roundhouse, inside and out!

Ray, let us know if you find any info on it!

Yeah someone needs to have a field day on that roundhouse...could be worth all that...ya know what I mean?

Back