All hail the arrival of the Amtrakking!! (Lol)

Hello fellow modellers!!

My name is Adrian aka Amtrakking and I just came aboard. Looking forward to meeting and greeting like minded souls and if Im lucky learning as much as I can about ths exciting hobby. My story is that I had a bunch of Amtrak trains back in the day and always wanted to do a layout.... I dont have the trains any longer but have decided now is that time.

I have space for a layout 16' x 6' against a back wall with a perpendicular 4' extension on the end. Basically a long "L" flipped around on its back.
I would like to do a modern epoch with possibly an urban, residential and yard setting with a continuous loop so that I can run what else!......an Amtrak train but I am open to suggestions. Thank you

Amtrakking

A 6' wide layout will be VERY HARD to reach across. Can you go around the four walls of the room?

with a continuous loop so that I can run what else!......an Amtrak train but I am open to suggestions.
I've been working on putting together a first generation Amtrak era train, right around 1973-1975. So far, I've got two E8 units with the arrow scheme, a Santa Fe stainless coach, a Great Northern café, an NP sleeper (forget the type) and an Amtrak 10-6 sleeper. I am thinking a Mopac baggage car would make a nice addition to the rainbow.

I've always wanted to model some form of St. Louis Union Station. That would do pretty good in an Amtrak scheme. I know they used the station up until 1978 or early 1979. For thoughts for you, I'm trying to think of one of the classic stations that Amtrak would still be using today... I mean besides things like Grand Central, and Philly 30th street where all the tracks are under ground. One could do a pretty impressive representation of a station in 16 feet of space.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been working on putting together a first generation Amtrak era train, right around 1973-1975. So far, I've got two E8 units with the arrow scheme, a Santa Fe stainless coach, a Great Northern café, an NP sleeper (forget the type) and an Amtrak 10-6 sleeper. I am thinking a Mopac baggage car would make a nice addition to the rainbow.
O
I've always wanted to model some form of St. Louis Union Station. That would do pretty good in an Amtrak scheme. I know they used the station up until 1978 or early 1979. For thoughts for you, I'm trying to think of one of the classic stations that Amtrak would still be using today... I mean besides things like Grand Central, and Philly 30th street where all the tracks are under ground. One could do a pretty impressive representation of a station in 16 feet of space.

Hadn't thought of that.....interesting. Do you think I would have room for a few city/urban structures?

Back