Alerts/email notifications

N

NP2626

I guess I like the "Alerts" notifications as opposed to being emailed, telling me that someone has responded to a post I have either started; or, joined in on. This is a nice feature here at the new website! However, I've noticed that activity here at the Model Railroad Forums seems to have dropped of severely, lately!!

I also like the alerts as opposed to the E-Mails. Nice feature. I have noticed the drop-off in activity as well. I think that it is mostly seasonal right now.

Willie

Around this time of year, most model railroaders are going to become more and more involved with outdoor activities, instead of indoor model railroading. They're going to be going on trips and taking vacations, rather than posting here.

Terry - I will have to agree with you about many people getting involved with outdoor activities. I finally got down in my train room for the first time in over a week to pick something up to mail out. No time at all to do any work at all. With a 2 acre yard to maintain, it does keep me busy.

I do like the email alerts. My 'puter at home is usually off and now that I finally figured out how to get on the forum on my phone, it does allow me to keep up with hat is going on.

It's seasonal and it also fluctuates a lot, with no apparent reason. 2 days ago we had 95 registered members log in, the most in one day since the new software. Yesterday, we had 62. Why? I have no idea! The chart looks like a seismograph, but there is a slow and steady upwards trend, so I think that long term we'll get more users.

There is another factor that's really hitting us hard at the moment. The photo gallery and forum are both no longer at the old URL's. The forum software remaps it, but the photo gallery is totally gone as far as Google knows. So it's slowly, really slowly, figuring out the old stuff is gone and discovering the new location. I don't know if it's figured out that they're the same content yet or not. But for now, the photo gallery traffic is way off due to bad google rank. I suspect this will take a month or two to get settled out.

I also agree with the others. Not sure about anywhere else in the country but here in NYS we have actually had a few days of 70+ weather so the outside has been the priority. Getting done what can be done while the weather allows.

Forum participation will continue to decline, at least during day light hours, due to weather and outdoor activities taking precedence over the hobby and indoor activities. That is nothing unusual and should be expected.

Back