Alco rs2, rs3

bgoatsw

I was wondering of all the manufactorers of trains, who makes the most accurate model of a rs2 or rs3, with my main curiosity of body and cab lengths. thanks G.

What scale are you asking about? There are several RS3 models, dependng on scale. Kato and Proto both have RS 2 models in N and HO. Athearn and Atlas both have RS3's in Ho, and Atlas has one in N. there are also models of RS 3's in O.

ooops, sorry bout that. Im wanting for 'HO' scale. I have a hobbytown of boston RS2 loco, and i wanna match the body shell to a different frame/motor. The body shell from hobbytown seems longer than others. That brought up question of accurate models length of other makers.
Thanks G

I would have to agree, Atlas. These are the first run Atlas RS2 and RS3 I have custom painted for my own road. When they came out about 15 or so years ago, the report was that they were excellent so far as measurements went, they were excellent.

Attachments

• Picture 330.jpg
    Picture 330.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 219
ooops, sorry bout that. Im wanting for 'HO' scale. I have a hobbytown of boston RS2 loco, and i wanna match the body shell to a different frame/motor. The body shell from hobbytown seems longer than others. That brought up question of accurate models length of other makers.
Thanks G

Believe it or not, that Hobbytown Rs-2 is accepted as the most accurate version of that model. I don't know why they say this exactly, but I've read this on several craftsman forums, as well as several other general RR forums. One forum in particular had a modeler who had checked and compared all models. He came to the same conclusion, the Hobbytown model is most accurate of all the models out there, Rs-2 or -3. It seems that everything on the prototype, is on that particular model whereas other versions, both plastic and brass, made compromises that Hobbytown didn't. Now you still have to remove the cast on grabs, and add wire ones if you want, but that is up to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
that is good to hear about hobbytown rs2, rs3 units. The problem ive been finding is the frames or sills of other makers are to short for the hobbytown body.. ive tried stewart, athearn,kato and atlas. Was considering chopping some of the body down to fit a atlas frame and sill, but since they are most accurate lengths, not sure i want to do that now? not sure what to try next, thanks for the great info. G

Overland made several RS3s of different railroads. They pop up from time to time for sale on the net.

Overland made several RS3s of different railroads. They pop up from time to time for sale on the net.

That's a cool picture. I can almost hear the thing sitting there thumping and wheezing.
Is it HO or N scale?

That's a cool picture. I can almost hear the thing sitting there thumping and wheezing.
Is it HO or N scale?

Thanks. It's HO scale. Though I do love it, runs perfect, and it is prototypical, I did have to tweak it a bit when I got it new! Numbering and striping was a tad askew and the railings a bit off. Not what one would expect from paying over $900US for it. I wish one could buy brass factory painted, but without the stripes and numbering so I could do it myself. I miss the days you could go to a hobby store and inspect the brass model.

If I had the time and patience, I would have purchased a plastic version and kit bashed it to make it prototypical.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Back