Airports on layouts

So as I'm planning my layout and the building and such, i'm thinking of putting in a Airport. Do any of you guys have one on your layouts? Is there any pics on here of anyone's Airports?

Chad

A very small, general aviation airport has a runway about 2,000 feet long. That translates into about 23 feet long in HO scale. A small commercial airport has a runway about 5,000 feet long. That's about 57 feet long in HO scale. This doesn't count taxiways, ramp areas, terminals, and parking. I've seen a few very large HO scale layouts that still had to use a considerable amount of selective compression to squeeze in an airport. I'm not saying it can't be done but it's not a very realistic idea for most home layouts.

Your only real hope is to put the terminal buildings on the very edge of your layout, with the rest of the airport "off the edge" someplace. As Jim said, an airport requires a HUGE amount of space.

Back when the "gauge" was the gauge, there was a monster layout in the gallery with a airport on it, even had a airplane that was suspended in the air with working props. He used clear tubing to support the airplane, and the wiring inside the tubing was white, to match the background.
I'll look thru my saved pics and see if I can find a couple of pics of it.:cool:

3 layouts back I had a large airport on my layout. The runway was only about 4 ft. long & it looked good for non rivet counters. Most people never noticed the short non scale tarmac. I had 1 sm. hangar & a tower w/rest. underneath. I had about 10 planes hanging from the ceiling & 2 on approach to land. I had them hanging on no see'm fine black wire. Even a photo didn't show the wires. I had it at the back of my layout w/very little of the runway showing. All of the GAP RR pics I had deleted off the forum had the airport in it. I'll try to find some of the old photo's & load'em up on your topic.

Larry

Found them, but only airport is viewable in the 1st pic, and you have to enlarge and look closely, straight ahead of the windmills.
overall.jpg

picture_006.jpg

picture_0071.jpg

picture_013.jpg

picture_0081.jpg

picture_024.jpg

I do... sort of. The Airport is 1:72 scale, the current railroad is n scale... For a while the airfield was on the modules while the trains were in storage. the plan is to have a rail spur to the airfield, where the Fire Train will be kept, and the helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft will be sitting on the tarmac. The Runways, taxiways and all will not be seen, just the ramp.
here's a few photo's from various configurations over the last few years of moving once a year...

Aerial view, 2' deep scene:
Aerialview.jpg

Control tower, and main building. Kitbashed using a HO scale kits: water tower and small municipal airport. I can't remember the maker, but the "tower" just sat on the 2nd floor. The building is currently disassembled while I enclose the tower.
DSC02855.jpg

Medevac transfer in field across from the fire station:
DSC02913.jpg

Refueling an HH-1 after a flight: (yes R2 is a capable air and ground crewman...)
DSC02890.jpg

oops... On the MH-60J Jayhawk the refuel door is on the other side...

never worked with or on a Huey IRL...

I've thought about adding one to my layout as well... (I'm a pilot, used to be in EAA, fly mostly homebuilts - about 500 hours).

What would be easier, is to just include the edge of an airport, especially a smaller GA airport. You could have the edge of the grass runway, some powerlines with orange balls on them with a little FBO, maybe even a Cub or something if there is one in that scale.

I just can't find any small bug-smashers in my N scale... I've looked for both 1/144 and 1/160, but can only find either big airliners or warplanes.

Kyle

thanks guys for all the great ideas. I'll keep you updated on what im going to do as i progress.

You amy not have the room for an air plane run way but you can add a helicopter pad almost anywhere!
I have some military trains and have a flat car that can accomidate a heli landing, while stopped of course.

Back