ADS?????

This is nothing new. Ads are a way to help the forum owner offset some of the cost of operating and hosting the forum.
While they do seem to have "cycles" where you see more ads at times than others, they are always there.

The ads here are nowhere near as bad as YouTube.
They stab ya in the face with them right in the middle of some pretty good videos. That's a good way to get negative publicity for a product.
Agreed. YouTube has gotten downright sickening with their stupid ads. Sometimes you can't even start watching a video for more than a minute or minute and a half before getting interrupted by the first ad. And then they bombard you every 3, 4, or 5 minutes after that. It's worse than commercial TV. I combat them as much as I can - kill the sound on the short ads. and skip the longer ads as soon as the first 5 seconds is up where you can click on "skip". But even that gets tiresome real quick.

Agreed. YouTube has gotten downright sickening with their stupid ads. Sometimes you can't even start watching a video for more than a minute or minute and a half before getting interrupted by the first ad. And then they bombard you every 3, 4, or 5 minutes after that. It's worse than commercial TV. I combat them as much as I can - kill the sound on the short ads. and skip the longer ads as soon as the first 5 seconds is up where you can click on "skip". But even that gets tiresome real quick.

Thats why you download a good adblocker. I haven't seen an ad on YouTube in years!

You got that right. And if YouTube spent more time figuring out how to make their ads less annoying, it wouldn't have to be an arms race!
Today Youtube escalated the battle.
I began watching a simple music video, about 4 minutes long. I went to address a call of nature, and after the song ended, an ad played. Then another ad played. Then a 5 minute ad played. Then another 2 minute ad played. I decided to end things early, returned to the computer, and exited my web browser. When I came back to close the browser, it was at the beginning of what the time at the bottom said was a 12 minute ad. And Youtube wonders why people use ad blockers.

There are a lot of marketing managers who think people will buy a product if ya interrupt what they're doin or watchin. Shows ya how immature and lazy marketing has become. Somehow, they think ya just have to get their product name in front of people and they'll buy it.

I absolutely agree ads are annoying. But this forum and Youtube for example aren't free...we don't have to pay for them (we can choose to).

You know what they say....something like:
If you don't know what the platfom's product is...You're the product.

All of a sudden I started to get ads in the MR forums. Is this something new, and is there a way to stop it??
Depending on which Browser you use, go to "extensions" in your browser. Then you can search specifically for Ad Blockers.

When I first joined modelrailroadforums.com I could not help but notice annoying ads positioned within the forums - not just on the "side" bars. Those ads were so obnoxious that I almost did not join. So I clicked on "extensions" in the browser I use most often and searched for "ad blockers". There were quite a few listed, so I previewed those first which were available for free. The particular one I chose I still have today.

Personally I feel ads on any website (not just model railroad forums) are at the very least "distracting". I don't know how you - or other members here feel about this subject - however I noticed some members seem to be leaning towards "tolerance" at the very least, or they don't believe the ads are a problem. I do!

Instead of ads, a website or forum owner/s should ask their members to donate what they can afford to help defray costs. There are indeed some rather expensive costs involved; I know from personal experience as I have had both websites and forums. There are "donation apps" or "plugins" available which make it simple to install a link for accepting donations - and it can be set up for monthly, quarterly, or yearly donations.

If it should come to it (asking for donations on this forum) I will gladly become one of the first individuals to donate.:)

Instead of ads, a website or forum owner/s should ask their members to donate what they can afford to help defray costs. There are indeed some rather expensive costs involved; I know from personal experience as I have had both websites and forums. There are "donation apps" or "plugins" available which make it simple to install a link for accepting donations - and it can be set up for monthly, quarterly, or yearly donations.

If it should come to it (asking for donations on this forum) I will gladly become one of the first individuals to donate.:)
This has been suggested in the past. The forum owner decided against this course of action.

Today Youtube escalated the battle.
I began watching a simple music video, about 4 minutes long. I went to address a call of nature, and after the song ended, an ad played. Then another ad played. Then a 5 minute ad played. Then another 2 minute ad played. I decided to end things early, returned to the computer, and exited my web browser. When I came back to close the browser, it was at the beginning of what the time at the bottom said was a 12 minute ad. And Youtube wonders why people use ad blockers.
Reminds me of the time I had the entire Lego movie as an ad, thankfully it was skippable. Did watch a bit of it though haha.

Back