Adhesives

What type of adhesives would you recommend for the putting together of kits from Acurail, Athearn BB etc? I no longer have a LHS nearby so I have to order everything. I've heard of using CA but there's so many in the Walthers catalogue that I don't know where to start.

CA works for Metal-to-plastic joints. Walthers Goo, or Barge Cement work well for etched metal or attaching weights. If its a plastic-plastic joint, I'd recommend a LIQUID plastic cement. Not, Liquid, not a gel type.

Good old Testor's plastic cement works fine. I like to use the type that comes in a bottle with a brush for finer work and the regular orange tube for big pieces. As Josh said, CA work better for dissimilar materials but Testor's plastic cement is both cheap and effective.

I ran out of Testor's plastic cement & can't get it at WM anymore, so, I started using Duro Super Glue(CA). I like it for plastic buildings. It sets pretty fast & don't need much. I bought 2 tubes in a pack for $1.63 at WM.
Then when I got to a Hobby shop I bought 2 tubes of testors. But, I still like the Duro better.

Larry

Back