Adhesion is Adhesion !!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Though most of us subconsciously already know this from day 1 in the hobby, it's still something when you actually ponder it; the very fact that our model locos adhere to the rails thru thee very same science/mechanix as the 1:1 scale to gain traction and overcome inertia !! Big or small, it's the same !! That's so cool when ya really think about it, huh ?! M

tootnkumin

Staff member
Also the reason, as a 12yr old, with my first OO loco, with a cast metal shell, I liked the weight to size ratio in my hand. Felt like a real minature of a full size one. And of course, weight is the deciding factor (unless it has rubber tires) to how well it pulls loads up grades.

Iron Horseman

Though most of us subconsciously already know this from day 1 in the hobby, it's still something when you actually ponder it; the very fact that our model locos adhere to the rails thru thee very same science/mechanix as the 1:1 scale to gain traction and overcome inertia !! Big or small, it's the same !! That's so cool when ya really think about it, huh ?! M
I remember an article a long time ago (late 1960s I believe) that had the actual math for adhesion of steel wheel on steel rail. They went on to contrast that with the formulas for that various model railroad wheel types on brass and nickel silver track.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com