Adding LED’s to the BLI Lighting & Thunder

Gdelmoro

Hi all,
I have a BLI Lightning and Thunder and I want to know if I can add additional LED Strips to the connections for the ones that come with the product?
anyone do this?

I'm surprised no one has chimed in on this. I haven't seen the Lightning and Thunder kit from BLI but I'm going to assume the LED strip is fairly standard. If you can take a picture of it I can tell you more. With that being said, as long as the power supply for the current LEDs is producing enough power, you can add to the current strip by simply soldering another section at one of the breaks.

I just watched a video showing the 18" strips of LEDs for the BLI system. Along the strip are copper colored junctions. Usually every 3 LEDs or so. This is where the LED strip can be cut or, in your case, added to. Taking another section of LEDs, solder the two strips together for a longer strip. Only issue is the power supply. I am currently running 4 16.4 foot RGBWW LED strips along my ceiling track. Each section is controlled by a MiLight WiFi controller. All of it is powered by a 650W computer power supply that produces 20A at 12VDC. I had the power supply in a box and pulled it out for this install. It runs them with no issue. So, depending on your current power supply and controller, the additional length you want to add and the draw of your specific strips, adding more LEDs is really simple. There are LED strips that have 12V power plugs at every 5 meter (16.4ft) to help keep the amperage up. If your LEDs happen to be AC current, the steps are the same except the conversion from AC to DC is slightly different. Either way, it can be done.

Let me know if you need any assistance, adding more lights should be a fairly easy set up. Heck, take out the original 18" strips and replace them with longer ones and avoid soldering all together. You could add an Arduino board and completely change the flash sequences for a crazy light show!

Back