Acrylic Airbrush Paint???????

... I had screwed up and bought 3 bottles of Microlux Paint for Airbrushing ...
I note that the label on Microlux airbrush paint bottles says "for brush or spray application without thinning." If that is true, then perhaps the paint you received will work for brush painting after all.

- Jeff

So, what else is new? I doubt they disagree with me as I doubt they pay me any attention what-so-ever!

I'm going to back away from this thread. It was a bad idea from the start. My opinion that I don't need; or, want an airbrush is an unpopular opinion with the majority. Therefore my need for thinned paints doesn't exist and while I find the offering of thinned paints to be confusing, I will have to be more careful in the future to not order thinned acrylic paints and I am going to try to sell the thinned paints I mistakenly purchased from Micro-Mark, on Ebay.

From my perspective this thread has faded to the background!

I’m not sure why you are bothered or irritated by the responses or the way the thread unfolded. You expressed your thoughts on a subject and folks replied to it, this is a discussion forum after all. Did you not want responses or a discussion? or did you just want responses that conformed exactly to your opinion? Everybody posted rationale comments and nobody got on your case or gave you a hard time about your original post.

Why are suppliers making decisions for us on where/how their paint can be used?
You mean, why are suppliers pandering to the airbrush guys. Suppliers have been "making decisions" about how we use their paint since day one. Automotive Paint, Interior Paint, Exterior Paint, Paint for plastics, metal, wood, ceramics. Acrylics and Enamels. There is nothing new in that. Why do they do it? To make it easier or people to buy the paint they want for a specific purpose. Now they have extended that "specialty" to include airbrushing.
I don't have an airbrush and after 60 years without one, am not about to buy one!
That's great and your prerogative not to buy an airbrush.

Your choice not to use an airbrush means you "may" have to look toward acrylic paint suppliers other than the "traditional plastic kit paint suppliers" such as Testors, Tamiya, Humbrol and so on. You can't make a choice, a decision then complain that suppliers don't accommodate your decision, especially when you are aware of the problems possibly associated with your decision in the first place.
It's been my understanding; however, that to thin Acrylic Paint all that is needed is distilled water; or, some other thinning agent and you have your thinned paint!
Correct acrylic thinner, water or even windex.
Obviously the manufacturers figure they can thin their paints, thereby making their paints go farther for the price and us stupid customers will never be any the wiser!
What's your point? Yes, companies can thin their paints during manufacturing. Yes the paint could go further depending on the user.
If you are sucked into this situation because you need your paints to be ready without doing any thinking, the world coming at us, is right up your alley!
So this thread isn't about you finding out what acrylic paints are available that have not been thinned, it is a complaint about companies thinning the paints they make because you prefer to hand paint.

So let's look at this as if it was the opposite, NO paint was thinned during the manufacturing process. Your first point, "why are suppliers making decisions for us..." would be just as credible and viable for those who want the paint thinned for use in an airbrush.

Option - suppliers make both, thinned and un thinned paint. Then you'd get people complaining because they couldn't read the label and bought the wrong paint. Where does it end?

Bottom line, if you think the traditional model paints are too thin - buy non traditional model paint suppliers acrylic, brushable straight out of the tube paint; thereby, telling the traditional suppliers to go to hell.

A site showing the 12 Best Acrylic Paints:

https://www.thoughtco.com/best-brands-of-acrylic-paint-2577374

If you are looking for brush able acrylic solutions, try some of the craft paint sold in JoAnn, Michaels or Wally World. I thin it with a bit of Polly Scale Airbrush Thinner, (Had this for years, I know it's no longer available), to what I consider a brush consistency, then brush it on. Otherwise, I would have to wait for the weather to warm up, as I only use rattle cans and air brushes outside. Even solvent based Scale coat II is a bit thin for brushing, as I found out much to my dismay, while trying to patch paint a Bowser Diesel.

Boris

Back