Accurail or Yardmaster cars ?

Nuttman

Pards,

I have found two companies which offer both boxcars and hoppers, that will fit my steam engine era. Both Accurail and Branchline in the Yardmaster series have several different Southern Ry cars which are available now. How is the quality on these two brands of cars, and would you fellows recommend one over the other. I am on the waiting list for the four car Southern set in the Branchline "Blueprint Series", but don't know how long I'll have to wait, so I thought perhaps one or both of these other two may do as well. Many thanks.
Gene

Pards,
I have found two companies which offer both boxcars and hoppers, that will fit my steam engine era. Both Accurail and Branchline in the Yardmaster series have several different Southern Ry cars which are available now. How is the quality on these two brands of cars, and would you fellows recommend one over the other. I am on the waiting list for the four car Southern set in the Branchline "Blueprint Series", but don't know how long I'll have to wait, so I thought perhaps one or both of these other two may do as well. Many thanks.
Gene

Both are simplified kits with molded on details. I would say they are about equal in overall detail level and similarly priced. The Blueprint series is high end and quite a bit more expensive but worth it. If you are looking for kits, the Blueprint series won't cost you that much more than Yardmaster. RTR, that's another story (like 2x or more).

Andy

I have found that the Accurail covered hoppers aren't accurate models. More or less generics that they'll throw any road name on.

I've found the Yardmaster series have a little more finely molded detail and the paint schemes are a little better quality and more true to the prototype, at least for the NKP boxcars I have from both lines. I agree with Mac that Branchline seems to do more research and tries to turn out cars that are good matches to the original. As EL said, the Blueprint series kits aren't too muchmore than the Yardmaster line but assembly time is about twice the Yardmaster line because of the separate details.

Back