Above layout storage solutions

Hello all, I'm currently getting toward a stage where I have to get rid of the old crummy shelving unit that stands between me and fulfilling the purpose of the Kootenay Division, and I want to transfer a bunch of stuff to storage above the top deck of my layout. (height of roughly 70-86") The whole hanging-a-shelf-from-the-ceiling thing is pretty easy, but I'd love to see what creative ideas you lot have come up with.

Post what you have!

I second the motion!

A very good idea in deed!

I have been considering this myself and I think it may be a good way to add more direct and targeted over head lighting for the layout to the bottom of the shelf.

I am very interested to hear the responses!

I would be concerned about dropping stuff on the layout while retrieving something. Do you have room on the floor underneith the layout?

Hey Stoker, that is a good idea about the cabinets. My problem is I only have about 16" to work with. I am 6'9" (I should say I was, I've lost some height from my back problems). My concern is that it would block my vision or I would hit my head if I exceed 16". I will look into cheap cabinets for below my HO layout, that is an excellent idea!

I wish you well with that kitchen, that can be tedious work, but with your experience you should be fine. I bet your wife loves it! I would imagine she wants it done by thanksgiving. If it were me I would be expecting some cookies and pies soon after you get done.

Hey Ken, I am not concerned about dropping things onto my layout because my thought was to have my upper shelf mirror the size and shape of my layout. When bringing things off the shelf momentum should carry it out away from the layout. There is always the chance I could fumble and push it back onto the layout, but that is a risk I am willing to live with.

My space under my layout is almost completely full. I used my daughters old hardwood bedroom set for storage on the perimeter under my layout and I store boxes on the floor in between. I am not thrilled at crawling under her old vanity to access the center storage area, but it is a good use of the space. My O-gauge layout is 12.5'X6.5'.

An easy solution would be to stop buying train stuff, but that is not going to happen any time soon.

I would be concerned about dropping stuff on the layout while retrieving something. Do you have room on the floor underneith the layout?
Nope, because...
My space under my layout is almost completely full.
Unfortunately, I had to agree to only using air rights to build this layout, as it were, to gain permission to use the entire room. I'll probably be storing most of my train stuff above the layout, but it's pretty light. I was planning to have the shelves be as deep as the layout, so as Bruette stated, that should help with the whole dropping stuff issue.

Hi,
Check out cabinets that are used above refridgerators and range hoods. They are typically 30" wide, but only 12" high and 12" deep. Would fit in your 16" space and not stick out too far from the wall.
Watch CraigsList for someone who's getting rid of cabinets after a kitchen remodel. I'm sure they can be found for cheap or maybe free. Else, places like HomeDepot have then new for $60-$70.

Let us know what you decide on.
Doug

Hey Doug,

That is a good idea, I have one of those Habitat for Humanity Restores not far from me, I will look to see what they have.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Back