about the meaning of unit B into locomotive

flesland

Hey friends, I must say, I'm totally begginer in this hobby and here in Chile, Southamerica I bought a locomotive Bachmann EMD FT-A standard, actually was my first simbolic purchase before start planifying a layout, well my question is:

I'm watching websites like modeltrainstuffs in order to buy locomotives and rolling stock and suddenly I saw a locomotive Bachmann EMD FT- "B"....what does mean this concept B into a trainset ?

I mean, is mandatory to buy a unit B to run a train set commanded by a Unit A ?

Another question, in the same site modeltrainstuff.com......there is Bachmann set compound by 4 units of passengers with a cost of almost US$ 80.- this is the link:

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BAC-89340&CartID=1

someones knows something about this 4 units set ?

Will be a good or bad purchase ?

Well I appreciate very much your answers and any remark will be good received.

Thanks a lot !!!!:) :) :) :)

Back in the olden days, it was required by the BLE (Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers) to have every locomotive staffed with a full crew: Engineer, Fireman, Brakeman, Conductor. When it was a steam locomotive, it made sense, as you cannot MU a steam engine!

Diesel Manufacturers ran into this problem when they debuted the FT's in 1939, the BLE wanted a crew in EVERY diesel, despite the "B" units specifically designed to NOT have a cab for this cost-saving reason. It took a LOT of negotiation on the first railroads that recieved these diesels to finally admit that it was massive featherbedding and stopped demanding this unrealstic opertional headache for diesels.

The FT was most often run as one "locomotive" (meaning that the A+B were drawbarred, not coupled) together. An ABBA set would be VERY prototypical, as would AB ABA and ABBBA lashups. Seldom were FT-A's run alone, save for shortline operations. I drawbarred my FT A+B together using styrene rod connected into each coupler pocket (the rear of the A to the front of the B) and installed couplers at both ends.

Other possible conisists would include FT-A+ GP7 or FT+ GP7+ FTB+ FTA

Let me know if this helps.

But the reason of adding a unit B was to increase the power in order to carry or hauling a mayor quantity of units ? (passengers, freight, etc)

Thanks !!!

Yes, the B unit was for more power......the difference between an A and B unit was the B unit does not have a cab. So in MilesWesterns explaination, the GP7 would not be a B unit, because it's an entirely different model engine. But in your original question , an FT A is an FT with a cab and an FT B is an FT without a cab. So an A B B A would be 2 identical engines with cabs, with 2 non-cab units in between.The cab units would normally be facing opposite directions so the unit could run in either direction without turning the engines around......the engineer would simply go to the cab on the other end.

Another question, in the same site modeltrainstuff.com......there is Bachmann set compound by 4 units of passengers with a cost of almost US$ 80.- this is the link:

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Produ...340&CartID= 1

someones knows something about this 4 units set ?

Will be a good or bad purchase ?

Well I appreciate very much your answers and any remark will be good received.

Thanks a lot !!!!

Please, Commentary about this

Thanks !!!!

They are excellent cars and well worth the money. They have basic interiors and come with interior lighting. The detail level is very good. These types of heavyweight passenger cars lasted until the early to late 50's on most railroads until they were replaced by lightweight cars. Some railroads, like the Southern and Nickel Plate, ran heavyweight cars into the mid-60's. Since you already have an FT-A, these cars would be very appropriate in terms of everything being in the correct era.

The unions kept pushing the issue, so eventually, the Feds stepped in and decreed that all locos connected together were one locomotive, hence one crew. That put away the argument that the other A unit needed a crew, since it had a cab.

Kennedy

Back