A working weigh station

Hawkesburytrain

I’ve created, I think, the ONLY weigh station that REALLY works for less than $25. This is NOT a random weight generator, it really weighs your freight cars. It may not be obvious to set up because of the preparation you will need to do, but it sure will add operations to your layout. You can use it in your yard or in a large industry were weighing is required, such as coal, grain, etc.

So how does it work?

Since cars are not the same length, it was impossible to conceive a track that could fit all cars without having the wheels of the other freight being on the weight unless all cars are of the same length. So, the weigh station I built, accommodates all cars if they are unhooked and push individually like they use to do in yards. In an industry since all cars are the same length, they can stay hooked up. Once the car is on the scale, I press a button and the weight is revealed. I then move the next car and press the button again for the weight of the next car.

What type of preparation needs to be done?

Since most of you adjust couplers, change wheel sets, weather your cars and had weight, well adding weight will become very important. In one of the pictures, you’ll see a spread sheet of my freight. I not only weighed all my cars, but measured them, wrote down the empty load and full load. I also included the NMRA suggested weight.

First let me tell you that I disagree with those numbers. Probably those suggested weight were for tight radius, cheap wheels, cheap couplers, but today, the material used is much better and people are going with bigger radius. Another point is having light and heavy cars on the same run could cause derailment. Again, I disagree because if you’ve match your good couplers and change the wheel sets and have bigger radius with good track laying, you shouldn’t have derailment. I’m not saying to have a great weight difference, but enough to match the weight written on the cars.

My cars will vary between 100 and 400 grams or 3.5 and 14 ounces. I decided on grams because I’m Canadian, just kidding, I went with grams so that I can have a more accurate weight with the specs written on the cars.

Some cars already come with extra weights, so I will need to shave off some weights for the empty car specs or add for those that come under specs. As for loaded freight, I will need to add more weights.

Operations

During operations, I would make sure that the weight of the cars is similar or as close as possible for all cars on a train haul. My fleet of freight cars will be 50% empty and 50% loaded. The loaded cars don’t need to be weighed at its full capacity.

What’s next?

I’ll finish assembling the whole project, make a few more adjustments and make a video.
IMG_0439.JPG
IMG_0441.JPG
IMG_0442.JPG
IMG_0444.JPG
IMG_0443.JPG

Lloyd - It's good to see you post again. This looks to be a really neat project. Concept is good and the results should bear this out.
I agree that I disagree with the NMRA numbers to some extent. I have found that lighter weight cars generally work well on my 28"-30" curves. This is especially relevant because I don't have loads for every flatcar; neither did the real thing! I go with grams as well, for greater accuracy and because I was a science major in college and I am quite used to working with that measurement.

Willie

Sure beats my postal scale.

I know I have cars that should be put on a diet...!

Thanks Lloyd.

Greg

Thanks guys.
This weigh station is designed for pushing cars individually.
The one I just finished (haven't posted anything on it yet) is for continuous run. Basically, the front wheels are weighed and then the back wheels are weighed and then added together for a total weight. Here's a glimpse of the scale.
IMG_0475.JPG

.... I not only weighed all my cars, but measured them, wrote down the empty load and full load. I also included the NMRA suggested weight.

My cars will vary between 100 and 400 grams or 3.5 and 14 ounces. I went with grams so that I can have a more accurate weight with the specs written on the cars.
I like it. So what did you use for a conversion factor equation. It can't be a linear transformation of:

grams * 0.00220462 lbs/gram * 87:1 scale = scale lbs

can it? As one would need to factor in the exponential force of gravity F=G ((6.0E24 kg*grams)/r^2). Would r = r1 - (r1/87) or r1 - height of center of gravity of the car / 87), or does one need to scale down the earths gravitational constant by 1/87th.

There's only 1 possible flaw I can see in your weighing regimen involving doing each end and then adding together. That won't give a true half and half total, more like 3/4 + 3/4.

That will be an excellent addition to any layout. Took a lot of thought and work, but worth the effort.

I think it's a great Idea, you can use it to make sure your cars are weighted properly after you have built them; or, added them to the layout. However, it is more work than I'm willing to do as my electronics abilities are not that great.

Back