A two part painting question

Two questions in reagrds to painting:

What is the best way to mask off an engine for painting two colors? For instance Providence and Worcester color scheme of Brown over Red? Which color is painted first?

Spray can or air brush? I was never any good at thinnig the paint just right to airbrush. Can you get the same results using spray cans?
Thanks in advance.

Ive always been told that the results with an airbrush are far better then a can of spray paint.

Also just a little tip when masking and spraying. When spraying with the masking tape on, spray down at an angle over the masking tape, this will help stop the paint from "bleeding" under the masking tape.

So if you have an area masked for spray on the bottom of the model, spray down from the top at an angle over the masking tape. If you have masked and are spraying the top of the model, spray up and at an angle to the masking tape.....

Also i think it is best to do the light color first, but dont quote me on that. Its always harder to cover up a dark color with a light color..... I guess it really depends on what the main color of the body is to. If the majority of the body is white, spray it white and then mask off the section(s) that are red....

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not done too much detail painting yet, but the stuff that i have done (mostly masking the tops and bottoms on trailers to spray them silver) i just use regular old blue masking tape or "painters tape". Take a flat head screw driver and press the edge of the tape firmly onto the model, this includes all those cracks, corner, crevices.... I always take the flat heard screw driver and firmly rub the edge of the masking tape at least twice.

Be careful if your masking on newly painted paint tho, it is best to wait at least a week after you paint and mask on new paint for the paint to fully cure. You wont like the results if you dont wait at least this period of time before masking on new paint cuz when you pull the mask off it will take with it all the new paint that you had previously done before :eek: lol

I usually do lighter colors first. Then I gloss cote the shell, allow 24 hours to dry, then mask it with blue painters tape. I cut a strip from the tape about 1/4" wide for the initial line, then use strips to cover up the rest... Work slow, making sure to press the tape into each seam as to minimize bleeding. Then gloss cote the shell again, this will create a much better edge. Allow it to dry 24 hours again, then you can spray the next color. Repeat as necessary.

I use Scotch Magic Tape for masking.

It is best to prime your models before painting them, and absolutely essential if you're painting yellow or white. I use a light gray paint for priming and use only enough paint to barely cover the model and make it all the same color. You don't need complete coverage for primer. For yellow, I'll follow the primer coat with a very thin coat of white. Again, not complete coverage, just enough to ensure a uniform color before applying the desired finish color.

As far as the sequence of colors is concerned, just think about which color would cover the other one easier. In general, the darker colors cover the lighter colors using less paint. The idea when painting is to use the least amount of paint possible to gain complete coverage. The best way to achieve this is by making multiple passes with thin coats. As each thin coat dries, the following pass adheres and covers the model better with less paint. So the accumulative effect of four or five thin coats is thinner and more complete coverage than one long heavy pass. The concept is the same whether using rattle cans or an airbrush.

If you have a complex masking job to do, you might want to sketch your design on paper first. Place the sketch under a piece of clean glass and lay out the tape on the glass. Cut the design using a sharp razor blade. Remove from the glass carefully and apply to the model. Use a toothpick to push the tape into all the nooks and crannies.

Hopefully that will give you some ideas to progress. I don't claim my methods to be the best, but they work for me.

Back