A New Member

ACCobra67

Hello to all,
I just joined this board. Having recently retired I am finally going to have the time to build a railroad. My dad and I built some nice layouts 50+ years ago and I have had all of the rail equipment packed carefully since he passed. So I am looking forward to getting back into this fantastic hobby. I am currently thinking of working in N scale with the possibility of building a second layout in HO. Having been out of the hobby for several decades, I have a lot to catch up on obviously. Can anyone recommend any books, (online or paper) that discuss DCC. I know nothing at all about it and would like to learn something about it.

Thanks for any info and I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you and interacting with the various forums.

ACCobra67:

Welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of information on DCC and at first glance DCC seems to be very complicated, which DCC isn't.

I would recommend reading Larry Puckett's web site, www.dccguy.com for lots of information. Also, Google "DCC" and you'll find other sources of information. I am partial to Digitrax, but other are other brands of DCC manufactures and take a look at their websites and you'll find more information.

Digitrax has a book devoted to DCC and it is surprising called the "Big Book of DCC".

Is there a club or other layouts nearby that operate with DCC? If so, try to visit the club or layout and talk to the membership about their DCC system.

Again welcome and enjoy the Forum.

Greg

Last edited:
Having recently retired I am finally going to have the time to build a railroad.
And there was great rejoicing.

I am currently thinking of working in N scale with the possibility of building a second layout in HO. Having been out of the hobby for several decades, I have a lot to catch up on obviously. Can anyone recommend any books, (online or paper) that discuss DCC. I know nothing at all about it and would like to learn something about it.
As far as DCC goes there isn't really all that much to learn just to be able to use it. Basically all you need to know is there is a "chip" in each locomotive that causes it to respond to signals sent to it. One has to tell each locomotive what channel is assigned to it (called programming), but other than that hook power to the DCC controller and two wires from the controller to the track. Tell the controller which locomotive channel you want it to control and go run the train.

The forum book store can help you.

http://www.modelrailroadbookstore.com/shop/product-category/books/dcc/

Here is the book I started with; http://www.modelrailroadbookstore.c...on-model-railroader-books-wiring-electronics/ It was great for a beginner like myself. Sometimes the experts look past the obvious that is not obvious to a beginner.

Welcome back to the hobby, don't be a stranger. This forum and the members will help reacquaint you with every aspect of this hobby.

Stop by the coffee shop if you have time, it's just a place to yack about anything. http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...bears-december-2018-coffee-shop.30883/page-10 a new coffee shop opens every month, don't ask me why, I just take up space here ;)

If you have a specific question it's best to do as you did with this thread and make new thread with your question.

Have fun with your trains!

Back