A new beginning inspired from my old Central Midland Layout

What do people think about replacing the 18 and 22" curves, with 22 and 24" curves? Table might need to be slightly larger, and maybe replace a few #4 switches with #6's, and/or replace #6's with some #8s in a few places. I've been considering this for a while, but wonder if anyone here has done it, or considered it also. One of the big issues as I see it, from the CAD drawings I've made, is getting the tracks to align properly, given that Atlas makes only so many crossings (19, 25 degrees, etc). You could always make the wye single tracked, but then you don't have quite the operational flexibility, that the double track design provides. Thanks in advance.
Larger curves are always more desirable than tighter...IF you can accomodate the larger radius ones. I had the same problem with my current layout. I compromised by using Shinohara 20" sectional track for my "largest" radius track on my return loops. The inside curves are 18" Atlas code 100 snaptrack. Just a thought.

Larger curves are always more desirable than tighter...IF you can accomodate the larger radius ones. I had the same problem with my current layout. I compromised by using Shinohara 20" sectional track for my "largest" radius track on my return loops. The inside curves are 18" Atlas code 100 snaptrack. Just a thought.

The wider the better especially if you are running passenger sets.

Just an update since I last posted on September 29th. Model railroad work has slowed down due to a big change in life. On October 2nd of this year, I lost my brother of 60 years old and I am the administrator of his estate. ( which is a complete train wreck, pardon the analogy.) At the same time, I was negotiating a deal to sell the business that I have built for 23 years. I am going to turn 56 tomorrow and believe it or not I am struggling with this retirement deal. I do have a side business of teaching/coaching other businesses but I would not be in the everyday grind. Sounds stupid doesn't it, that I would miss that? So this gives me more time to do model railroading, right? It will but that can't be my everyday job. My daughter also has twins on the way so I guess I will be very busy there. I did go out and buy some lumber for the staging yard I wanted to build, so maybe that will be a good winter project to do. I am guessing I better get a lot more done so that the grandkids can sit and watch the trains when they get bigger in a few years. So 2019 will be a big change in life for me and I appreciate coming to this forum and hanging out for a bit to ease my mind. You all have a great Christmas and a Happy New year. More pictures next year.

Happy birthday Eric. Sounds like you are going through quite a few changes, transitions, and challenges in your life. I hope the new year brings new opportunities and blessings for you and your family. Keep plugging along, every season of life has a sunshine all its own.

Greg

Happy birthday Eric. Sounds like you are going through quite a few changes, transitions, and challenges in your life. I hope the new year brings new opportunities and blessings for you and your family. Keep plugging along, every season of life has a sunshine all its own.

Greg
Thanks Greg, I really appreciate that.

Eric

Condolences on the loss of your brother, Eric. I'll be 57 in March, and have a younger brother who's also into trains. If he goes before I do, that will be a big hole in my life. Good luck with the sale of your business. that's a lot of stuff to deal with, plus 2 new grandchildren, soon too. Your layout looks great! Best of everything in 2019!

3 months into retirement and I barely have fired up the layout. Very busy handling stuff with my brother's estate and finalizing my business transaction. Just got back from Florida and I hope to get time to get back on this layout. Twins girls are going to be here May 10th if she doesn't go into labor before then. I am going to schedule a day every week in my calendar to work on my layout. Hopefully, I get some new pictures up soon.

Look forward to new pics.

Sounds like you are going to have a very busy time with grandchildren !!

BTW, where do you normally visit in Florida?

Ok I lied. I said I was going to work on this railroad more during retirement. Seems retirement and I butt heads a lot. I have been busier now than I was when I was working. I am a business coach for 12 auto shops in the area, I am now doing Software training for a company that sells Programs to Auto Repair Shops. Also was appointed to the local City Board of Zoning Appeals, and am running for City Council. As I do all of this, I am still handling my deceased brother's estate. My Daughter gave birth to twin baby girls May 1st and now I am a grandpa. ( I have attached a picture :)) I did manage to do a small few things I wanted to get started on. I revamped my yard. I took out one of the double crossovers and extended the yard length so I could fit larger freight/passenger cars. I have yet to build my staging area but the lumber is here and in my way now so that will give me some excuse to finish it. I laid down a parking lot for my future museum and have been trying to figure my downtown area out. You'll notice in the pictures that yes the yard tracks are not just perfect yet, still have some final straightening to do. Yes, there is a German double-decker bus that does not fit my timeline, but my daughter brought that back from Hamburg, Germany for me and it stays. Can't wait to see the girls watching Grandpa's layout running. Hopefully, I can make the Railfans too. We sure need that in this hobby, the young people are not interested as much anymore.

Happy Mother's Day out there to all your Mom's living and Deceased.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f01c.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f040.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f041.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f03f.jpg1557666429892.png

Here you go.

Layout is looking great! Funny, I am just finishing up (are they ever really finished) this one and have discovered I like passenger trains and big steam. LOL The Big Boy, Challengers and large early diesels (E units) and passenger cars are not real happy on this layout soooooooo. I am starting another one in what used to be our game room. I have a 25 x 16 is space. I may connect the two through the wall, we will see how that goes. Lucky for me my wife is on board as she has the bug too and has discovered she is a pretty good model builder and really gets into scenery (she did some of what you see in the video).

Back