A new beginning inspired from my old Central Midland Layout

Those are some nice looking rides. When I think back to some of the cars I had in the past and traded off, I can get ill. '57 Corvette fuelie, '64 Studebaker Grand Trismo Hawk. ( I do have a '62 in my shop new that I picked up a few years ago), '65 Corvette, '68 Charger R/T with a 440 six pack, '69 Chevelle. and on and on. I restore classic cars as a hobby and sure wish I would have had enough sense to hold on to some of them.

Finally some time to do some ballast work. Using Scenic Express #40 blended ballast. I think it will look fine

9f617130af8c959584479ba231aadd46.jpg
0023aee32c4f3c5eb5ecb6b5e7fccac7.jpg
8b30ed2e1257cf2a2d96d7379df071ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E - Yes it does. Go to page 34 for a video. I have been watching this build for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something is weird. If you click on the link and scroll to the bottom of the page, the video should be there.I just tried it and it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric, I want to thank you personally for this thread. it has been my inspiration to get back into model railroading after a long absence. About a year ago I decided to get back in and started by looking thru various forum sites and ran across yours. I had an unfinished basement so the first step over the last year has been to finish the basement which is now done and a wife who had wanted it for quite some time who is now happy. I have a preliminary plan and have started to build the frame work for a layout which is somewhat similar to yours. With your layout up and running as I read it, you are happy with the large radius curves (34" &32") you used on the mainline. I believe you have the tracks separated by two inches. Is that working out OK? By the way, I live near you between Middletown and Lebanon Ohio.

Eric, I want to thank you personally for this thread. it has been my inspiration to get back into model railroading after a long absence. About a year ago I decided to get back in and started by looking thru various forum sites and ran across yours. I had an unfinished basement so the first step over the last year has been to finish the basement which is now done and a wife who had wanted it for quite some time who is now happy. I have a preliminary plan and have started to build the frame work for a layout which is somewhat similar to yours. With your layout up and running as I read it, you are happy with the large radius curves (34" &32") you used on the mainline. I believe you have the tracks separated by two inches. Is that working out OK? By the way, I live near you between Middletown and Lebanon Ohio.

Wow Larry thank you. That is a great Christmas present to wake up to this morning, knowing I have helped someone out there. Larry when I moved in 2015 and had to tear down my layout, it was this forum that inspired me to build a brand new one. Yes I am very pleased with my radius and everything runs great on it.I even have a 28 radius that everything goes nicely through. I have never joined a club, could say this forum is my club. I really never cared for being a purest and never cared what time the train made it to the next stop. My passion is building and collecting. I run my trains only to look at the beauty of them and the sounds. I love detail and animation and that is my inspiration. Since you are from the area you know how lucky we are to have Entertrainment Junction in our backyard. I go there for inspiration too. I am so thankful for what these people post in this forum and how they keep me inspired. I even enjoy the comments from the Rivet Counters ;). I tried many hobbies and then decided in 2008 to stay with what I love , trains. I am so glad I built this new layout and stayed with it. I just turned 55 and I would have been really upset at myself when I hit 70 to say "I wish I would have done that" Go for it and go for it big, we are here only once. Maybe some day if you would like to come and take a look at the layout I would be more than happy. Merry Christmas to you and everyone on this forum and thank you all again for keeping my inspiration going.

Perhaps they were trying to learn to fly so they could join in with that flying sled this time of the year.

Eric, Merry Christmas to you and your family also. Like you I like building. I have been lucky in my life to enjoy many different hobbies but as I get older ( Turn 77 the end of this week) I decided to go back to a hobby / building that was close to home and would keep me busy and mentally challenged. Thanks for the invite to see your layout but I will have to wait till Spring to do it. We leave for Florida in early January for our annual Snowbird trip. The foot print for my proposed layout is 13’ by 18’. As I mentioned I have a preliminary plan and will be fine tuning it while in Florida. I am certain I will have many questions for you as I proceed. One of the things that has intrigued me as I get back into the hobby is the capabilities and possibilities with DCC. I think somewhere in your thread you were using a NCE DCC Systems. Have you got into signaling for your Layout?

Eric, Merry Christmas to you and your family also. Like you I like building. I have been lucky in my life to enjoy many different hobbies but as I get older ( Turn 77 the end of this week) I decided to go back to a hobby / building that was close to home and would keep me busy and mentally challenged. Thanks for the invite to see your layout but I will have to wait till Spring to do it. We leave for Florida in early January for our annual Snowbird trip. The foot print for my proposed layout is 13’ by 18’. As I mentioned I have a preliminary plan and will be fine tuning it while in Florida. I am certain I will have many questions for you as I proceed. One of the things that has intrigued me as I get back into the hobby is the capabilities and possibilities with DCC. I think somewhere in your thread you were using a NCE DCC Systems. Have you got into signaling for your Layout?

Yes time to get out of this cold weather. I go to Bradenton for a couple weeks every year to see the in laws in March. No signalling yet, just getting to that point.

It has been a bit since I have updated this Thread. Really got busy again and I just started working hard again on this layout. One thing I did was unpack all my stuff I took off my old layout and checked to see what was good and what was bad. Smartest thing I have done so far. I really got a feel for what I can do and what I need to buy. I did manage to start on the downtown community park like I had on my old layout. The Ball park is back and being played on. Also have kids flying kites. More to come hopefully soon. Time sure gets away from you quick.

Tried to upload some Pictures today and not working???

Back