A local problem ??

Aerojet

Monday night I was reading the paper about 4:15 and the news had "breaking news" - that there was a train car crash at Brookfield. One look at the clock told me something had been run over by # 7 - the westbound Empire Builder. Yup -- one 70 yo man dead.

According to the news and the internet followup - the guy went around one or two cars which were stopped for the train. Gates down, signals going. I guess he thought it was another slow freight coming up the sub-continental divide between Elm Grove and Brookfield.

With 3 P42DC locos, 8 cars, and 200 passengers this thing was screaming along at the track speed for Main 1 - 65.

The best guess by the Dupy gang is this. He decided not to wait for the "slow freight" and pulled out to go around the gates, not realizing that it was in fact Amtrak. Pulling onto the grade crossing just as the lead did, he had no time to do much except ....... This was the result -
amtrak-train-vs-car-1550533373.jpg

That was a Dodge Grand Caravan - the front clip was sliced off and is wayy down the tracks back at Brookfield road - the train went a good half mile before stopping. The car is crushed to about 20 inches wide, note where the front coupler is. Pieces of sheet metal are scattered all over the place back there. This thing just exploded. IF you note the blue thing is guess the "body" and it is not straight. They had a lot of trouble getting it out of the car (police radio traffic) and more trouble getting the car off the front of the loco.

They sat there for five hours, the passengers were left on board while this whole fiasco went on. Left for Portland at 9Pm.

Your local Dupy Reporter -

The Aerojet

Aerojet: I know this crossing very well and have rail fanned near this location.

I once came across an accident involving a vehicle and a train where a SOO Line freight struck a vehicle at a crossing in the Town of Lisbon. In this case the car stalled on the tracks and the train pushed th car almost a mile down the rails before coming toa stop. Lucky, in this case, the drive and her baby were able to escape the car just before impact was made.

Greg

It’s not only tragic for the loss of life, but imagine the toll it will take on the crew. Things are in place for a reason, totally preventable!

Any time is train time. When the gates are down, there's something else going on if someone goes around them. Fleeing police, impaired (cognitive or due to alcohol/other substance), or a self-proclaimed emergency.

Unfortunately, the 'net is full of train/ vehicle collisions. No surprise - I see the way people drive on my daily commute.

There is no patience; they have to go faster, faster, faster and take unreasonable risks. Can't wait for a traffic light, so they'll cut through a business parking lot.

I work volunteer EMS for my county. "Accidents" rarely occur. Most Motor Vehicle Collisions are the result of poor decisions (driving too fast for conditions, distracted driving, etc.) But don't get me started. :eek:

Been through entirely too many similar incidents over the years. What I focused on in this one was the death of the 70 yr. old occupant of the vehicle. I can only presume that the 70year old was the operator of the Durango. In any event, clearly, someone who runs around other standing vehicles to go around the gates pretty much creates his own demise.

Boris

Been through entirely too many similar incidents over the years. What I focused on in this one was the death of the 70 yr. old occupant of the vehicle. I can only presume that the 70year old was the operator of the Durango. In any event, clearly, someone who runs around other standing vehicles to go around the gates pretty much creates his own demise.

Boris
Here, we call that "pissing on the electric fence for themselves".
We will probably never know why the driver decided to run around the waiting cars and lowered gates. He was70 years old, did he have a spouse or anyone else at home? Had he just gotten some really bad news, and either was distracted by that, or made a decision to attempt trainicide? That is, unfortunately, a real thing, like "copicide".

They sat there for five hours, the passengers were left on board while this whole fiasco went on. Left for Portland at 9Pm.
Reading some of the related news stories, the interviewed passengers said they didn't feel anything until the train started just slowing down to stop. They only realized they were involved when the flashing lights began to gather around the train.

Reading some of the related news stories, the interviewed passengers said they didn't feel anything until the train started just slowing down to stop. They only realized they were involved when the flashing lights began to gather around the train.

Unless the trains derails or it's a semi truck or other big object, you don't usually feel anything. The weight ratio is like running over a can of soda in your car.

I once hit a (fortunately empty) pickup truck parked too close to the track. We were on a sharp curve and the boiler was in the way so I couldn't see it. The fireman didn't notice it until it was too late as he was watching the cars at the crossing just prior to the trucks location. I didn't even feel a bump. I just heard a loud crunching sound and said "What was that noise?" "We just hit a truck". Granted, if it's a truckload of rock, different story. But a car? Not much of a match.

Here we go again! 3 people killed in train-vehicle collision on Long Island!
Apparently the vehicle went around the lowered gates and ignored the flashing lights, when it was hit by two trains going in opposite directions! One of the trains derailed although all cars remained upright. This was in Westbury, NY, on Long Island. :mad:

Stupid is as stupid does.
Maybe it's time to install those European style crash guards that raise up hydraulically?

Years ago when I was a state trooper and an accident investigator I handled too many of these kinds on accidents. In every case it was the drivers fault, impatience being the main factor.

It happens way too often.

On my commute to work daily, I have to cross the BNSF sub twice if I go the short way (and it runs parallel for about 1/2 mile so I can railfan a bit)
I see people go around all the time.

Not me! I slow down on purpose just hoping to see a train - and delight when one comes through slow enough to enjoy. Amtrak too fast - don't get to enjoy!

On another note concerning patience: There have been two deaths within 10 miles of me in the last month!
Both involved cars/trucks speeding on the right shoulder of the Interstate trying to get a leg up! One hit an abutment and the other sandwiched a cycle cop who had just pulled over another car. Both had been drinking!

Back