A lesson about what model railroading is...

I have been playing at this hobby for over 50 years now. I can assure you that the only way to screw up this hobby is to not have fun. Why let someone else screw it up for you. Enjoy. Do what makes you happy.

Steve

It is toy trains, folks. Doesn't matter who makes 'em or who plays wif 'em. They're toys. Our womenfolk look askance at us, or they chuckle and shake their heads.

Mine ARE better'n yours because I picked 'em and I oughta know! Now run along and enjoy yourselves.

:D

Ok like, on my layout I have a kroger and a walmart......and the people going in and out of them DON'T have their faces, necks, arms and legs covered with tattoos and piercings....you know.....unlike the real krogers and walmarts. :D

This makes my own little world just a bit different. :)

Mike

It's funny, I have a BLI Reading T-1 and a Bachmann C&O 2-6-6-2 and never thought to view one as "better" than the other. All that matters is if I have the right locomotive for the right train for the right setting in the right era. If it makes historical sense for the era that I'm interested in I'm not going to care very much about how exactly prototypical the detailed parts on the loco are. It's a toy that won't ever be exact to the real thing no matter how hard you try. I don't care about how many cars it can pull because maxing it out is too much for a basement layout and a good way to wear out the motor too soon.

Maybe I haven't been back into the hobby long enough to care about these things, but to me MRR is running trains that you like around a layout that you like...proto or freelance. The most important details after that are about how well your stuff works without falling apart or derailing. Perhaps I set my sights too low...lol.

It's a hobby and I think a hobby should be fun though at times it can be a headache if I try to take on things I just don't have the skills or know how to do yet. This hobby has taught me the value of patience though I had to learn the hard way.

This is what I love about this hobby. There are so many different disciplines involved. Electrical & Civil Engineering to Art and Stagecraft. There is lots to learn and skills to master. It is a hobby where I can make mistakes and not worry, unlike work where mistakes get people hurt.

Currently, I building a small shelf layout. I wiring for DC blocks, I still get people telling me that I must go with DCC because it's cheaper in the long run. Maybe, maybe not. I'm having fun feeling my way through the process. I hope by the time I'm done, I'll have a very intimate knowledge of my layout. I've gotten hours of enjoyment detailing Anthern BB into nice looking & running pieces.

The end product is almost unimportant, the journey is the real prize.

Doug Maddox
Along Reading's Bethlehem Branch

Ok like, on my layout I have a kroger and a walmart......and the people going in and out of them DON'T have their faces, necks, arms and legs covered with tattoos and piercings....you know.....unlike the real krogers and walmarts. :D
Mike

LOL, the harder they try to be "an individual", the more they all start looking the same. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
When I saw the layout [club layout] I noticed that just about ever single track and yard were filled with the owners stuff so that kind of eliminated the whole club idea of room for everyones trains as this was more like a personal layout / display case for his trains.
Hah! That reminds me of a story involving me and a similar situation.

Our club had struggled getting members and was down to 7 or 8 people. I went on a campaign to get new members in. I analyzed when the club had been doing well and attempted to duplicate those situations. Anyway it worked and we got piles of new members. Fast forward 4 years, many of the new members had "different" ideas of what the club should be. Anyway since there were so many of them we parted ways. Yet another year later I went back to get my equipment off the club layout. I am guessing 3/4 of the cars and 90% of the cars painted for the clubs railroad were mine. I had no idea that in 23 years I had accumulated that much equipment down there.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience in model railroading, I can say these:

>More expensive does not always mean better! I really feel paying more than USD 150 for a locomotive or USD 30 for a freight car is a bit too much. Most Youtube videos which show negetive reviews and or complaints on model locomotives are on locomotives from 'high end' end brands.

I personally feel that one of the reasons model trains are becoming expensive to buy is the fact that there are 'rivet counters' or persons who point out too every little flaw in model railroad (like:"look, when you look at underside of this locomotive by holding it up You can see 2mm of the wire from the electrical pick-ups" or "the paint is coming of from this unnoticeable area, but the paint is still coming off" or "this tiny piece is popped out (easily fixed by oneself) but I'm returning it anyway" or "there should be 11 rivets here not 10" You get the picture).

>It's Your railroad, be it freelance, semi-freelance, semi-prototypical (which mine is), prototypical and/or mainly concentrating on scenery, or just running trains, balance of both, and many more categories, run the way you want it! And have fun with it.

While operating my B&O Capitol Dome oddessy, I got into an "argument" with a close friend about model railroading and his fleet of BLI. I am a fan of bachmann locomotives (I mean the Quality since 2011 models haha) and my friend was not at all impressed with my B&O collection for all that came out of his mouth was "anything your bachmann can do my BLI can do better!" and oddly enough when I visited the local model railroading club most of the guys there just bragged about their protos and BLI's....

It seems a few of us have forgotten that model railroading isn't about Proto and Broadway, it's about just having fun enjoying your fleet. Personally I love the new Bachmann DCC and sound equipped locos, they are very easy to work on, and are fairly detailed these days, plus I love the fact that I can actually number and light up the number boards myself as well as add the missing details gives me the opportunity to really make the locomotive my own. And the best part is it doesn't cost me $400!!!!

I wonder how many people out there agree with me, that model railroading isn't about all of the fancy locos, while yet nice, they;re not what brings people together is just simply the trains themselves! :)

So let me give you a few points to ponder. You were clearly offended by this experience, and it does sound like you had some justification. Here's how I usually handle those sorts of situations: A big smile and "Thanks for your input, but I like it the way it is", or something similar. If you want to give them a little of the old cattle prod you can say something like "I looked at (whoever's model) of that engine and just couldn't justify the additional expense. I upgraded this one to the same level of detail, saved $150.00, and it runs like a dream."

As to your generalization on clubs...ummmm...nope. Good clubs are out there. They are an extension of their members, so if you find a group of jerks, your experience will reflect it. I have belonged to two clubs full of what you would call rivet counters, but neither had any sort of criteria about what rolling stock or motive power anyone should have. There were/are rules about metal wheels and kadee couplers and so forth, but only because you have to have some commonality for everything to work and play well together.

I am a rivet counter myself. I try to duplicate a prototype as closely as possible for my own satisfaction, not yours or anyone elses, and I won't offer you any opinion on your model's quality or accuracy unless you ask for it. I own everything from Bachmann to brass. Bachmann's rep has to catch up with their current offerings. They have raised the bar considerably in the last couple of years. I have several of their trolleys and their GP-7 and S-4 are very nice. Can't be beat for the price. They are moving into the void left by Athearn as an entry level supplier of cheap upgradeable models, but...I digress :D.

Good clubs usually expect some sort of contribution besides dues, even it if's just sweeping the floor or keeping the dust off the layout, and they are always willing to teach or listen. My advice would be to find another group if you are so inclined, and maybe grow a little thicker skin, because club members are the same as folks in general. Most are OK, some are clueless, and there are always a few jerks. You'll find that combination in any group, even if it's just people at a bus stop. ;)

I think the, everything needs to be ultra prototypical, the equipment absolutely top of the line, we have to be able to operate just like the real thing or else it ain't worth doing crowd will do more harm to this hobby than high prices and lack of LHS and the Internet combined. (Boy do I run on sentences or what?) Don't get me wrong, if that's your thing, do it and enjoy it. It's not mine, or alot of peoples. Me, I'm playing with toys. I can afford to buy most anything in reason. I choose to keep it simple. Yes I have new Bachmann steam and old Tyco too. Enjoy your world and I'll enjoy mine. Maybe we'll get together and enjoy each others for what they are.

I think the, everything needs to be ultra prototypical, the equipment absolutely top of the line, we have to be able to operate just like the real thing or else it ain't worth doing crowd will do more harm to this hobby than high prices and lack of LHS and the Internet combined. (Boy do I run on sentences or what?) Don't get me wrong, if that's your thing, do it and enjoy it. It's not mine, or alot of peoples. Me, I'm playing with toys. I can afford to buy most anything in reason. I choose to keep it simple. Yes I have new Bachmann steam and old Tyco too. Enjoy your world and I'll enjoy mine. Maybe we'll get together and enjoy each others for what they are.

Problem is that those people rarely have a layout or run trains, most of those type of modelers build the models and they sit in boxes or a display case. When I was with a modular club the owner wanted everything to high standards and wasn't pleased with Athearn BB cars or cheap kits. I put it easily to him, when your at a show and people watch the train go by do you think that 90% of the people notice or care if the cars are 100% accurate or not and whether they are ultra detailed or not. That pretty much ended that conversation, I can care less what it is as I have everything from AHM to Overland Brass and run everything together.

Back