A building, a layout, finally!!

Looks good!

I would have interwoven the siding between the old and new garage, but I am being an armchair (ok office chair) builder.

Patrick, the cost was not worth the aesthetic of matching it all. Besides the original siding that I left was still in good condition.

Jerome: How did you talk your wife in allowing you to build the layout addition?

I been having trouble convincing the Mrs. to allow me to build my 2.5 x 10 foot expansion yard!

Greg

Greg, the entire idea was HER idea!! I have 40 some years worth trains, buildings, scenery stuff all packed away in 55 totes. She originally told me to take the spare bedroom, I didn't like that idea.

The gutter man came today. When I got home I attached the drain tiles. Eventually a flower bed will be put in covering all the way up to the brick line.

20191029_172054.jpg

20191029_172030.jpg

30" is quite deep! I did 24" and it was still a reach to work on things far away. I suggest no higher than what your arm is at horizontal and no deeper than your arm fully extended without your body leaning over. If you make your shelf even less, say 12", you may be able to fit a long peninsula into the space. Is it point to point or a loop? Starting from the door going right, then back out into a peninsula, then back to the right and along the wall to the door again would give you about a 100' long run.

Where there is a will, there is a way. I have places on my layout that are pretty much unreachable. However, I have overcome the problem of being able to reach these inaccessible locations by standing on a stool. I find this to be such a simple solution to this problem, that I don't worry about inaccessibility, accept of course one can go overboard, so keep it simple!

Saturday. Train show.
Sunday, Monday, running Romex up and over the existing garage to the circuit breaker box. Had to do some spicing and re-running Romex to new outside garage lights. Made a total of 6 runs to the breaker box.

1. Northwest/Southwest wall outlets
2. Southeast wall/existing garage wall outlets
3. Lights for the train room
4. 220V line for HVAC
5. Line for Generator hookup
5. Line to go out to the shed for lights and outlets

Ran out of junction boxes, still gotta split the line for the ceiling lights, then run power to the garage door opener and the attic exhaust fan.

Back