A building, a layout, finally!!

OK so I have a really good start on the building, I have my inside measurements now. I guess it is time to start some track planning. Can you guys recommend some track planning software that you have used? Thank you in advance.

I have an idea of what I want to try, but not sure how practical it will be.

I have tried a couple and found I like my hand drawn the best. You'd think a guy who works with computers all day would find the programs easy to use...

The problem I had was the programs didn't flow well with my tables and the amount of flex track I have. I have way more track than I think I'll use in the next several years.

Like Patrick, I used pencil and paper. I drew up a rough idea of what I wanted, measured and built the benchwork and winged it from there. Being that this is my fourth layout, (first two don't really count), I had a pretty good idea of how things would flow and how different elements worked with one another. That being said, I have read and heard that SCARM freeware is relatively easy to use and there is a link and thread here on the forum. I cannot locate the thread here right now, but here is the download link.
SCARM
I think that the designer is Hungarian, but he is well versed in English as his website demonstrates.

OK so I have a really good start on the building, I have my inside measurements now. I guess it is time to start some track planning. Can you guys recommend some track planning software that you have used? Thank you in advance.

I have an idea of what I want to try, but not sure how practical it will be.

I always used a Protractor, Drawing Compass, and a Ruler. In my Lionel and Marx days, I had some little plastic track section stamps with an inkpad -- I made hundreds of "paper" layouts.
Never tried to use a computer program?

Guys thank you for the tips on the track software. Today the wife and I got the facia boards on then the roof shingles.
20190427_194529.jpg
20190427_194545.jpg

We took a break from the building today. Made a Lowes run then mowed the grass. Tonight I started to draw out the layout I have in my head. This is the lower level mainlines. Two 30" Helix's will go up to a 12" shelf layout that will go around the
20190505_214258.jpg
perimeter of the room and return back down to the lower level. Second drawing will be the upper level tomorrow.

Wow, nice long run with a single track main, love it!
Where's the FM paper mill going???

Back