70 ton Ore Jenny's

you bring them south to Chicagoland, I pick them up and move them westward to the Ole Mississippi, to be barged south for export. Sounds plausible!!??
Coal is moved to the Mississippi (Ohio) and loaded in barges, but most of that goes to power plants along the river.

There are rail-barge coal moves to the coast for export. Some coal out of Southern Illinois went to transfers on the Mississippi and then barge to the Gulf for export to Spain.

The only sea-land iron ore movements I've seen are IMPORTS. Ore from South America or Australia to the US, then rail to the interior. The steel mills in eastern PA recieved ore through the Port of Philadelphia.

These were finished yesterday.

20191009_161501.jpg

Nice patch out job on those Ore Jennys, Jerome. I used to work the Helpers that shoved the PRR ore trains out of South Philly, West to Glen Moore, where the Ore Trains continued on their own. normally, the train would get two or three E-44s, and consist of 130 to 150 Jenny Hoppers or about 125 70 ton coal hoppers. Our helper was normally a pair of GP9s or a Motor. Bethlehem Steel Ore trains from South Philly usually received three SD40-2s or 4 GP40s on the head end, with no helpers and similar consists.
Boris

Back