70 ton Ore Jenny's

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
How many 70 ton ore Jenny's would "you" consider enough for a decent size train?
20190717_215829.jpg

Depends on the size of the layout, what its purpose is, and the scale. At least ten cars to make it believable, more as space allows.
Probably 20-25 cars would be good, unless you have a lot of room.

Depends on the size of the layout, what its purpose is, and the scale. At least ten cars to make it believable, more as space allows.
Probably 20-25 cars would be good, unless you have a lot of room.
Terry, I should have a couple of 24' long runs on either side of the layout. I'm thinking 2 GP60's as power (maybe 3). HO scale, bringing the empties back to Chicago to be shipped back north is the plan.

Yeah I was thinking the about same as Terry, between two and three dozen short cars make a nice looking train.
24-36 is easily done. I have 183 of the monsters. Another reason for the post, how many to let go. Thank you Terry, Rick for the thoughts.

Ore is heavy, and speed is not a priority.
GP60s would not be the power of choice for that task. Six axle engines would be what you’d see. U30Cs, SD40s, even RSD12s would be a better choice, as far as plausibility.
LS&I used RSD15s, and currently uses U30C and C30-7 engines on their ore trains.

Ore is heavy, and speed is not a priority.
GP60s would not be the power of choice for that task. Six axle engines would be what you’d see. U30Cs, SD40s, even RSD12s would be a better choice, as far as plausibility.
LS&I used RSD15s, and currently uses U30C and C30-7 engines on their ore trains.
Terry, going to have to look into that closer. My fleet is short on 6 axle power. Geeps rule the roost in the A&P's roster.

Terry, wouldn't 3 or 4 GP60's be enough tractive power?
In the real world, they would have more than enough horsepower, but they are generally geared for fast freight. NS, ATSF, and SP all used them that way. In the real world, a locomotive with 75mph gearing would burn up its traction motors lugging heavy stuff at 15mph.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH now I'm trackin with you!!! (pun intended) OK, I will have to look through my roster tonight. Will pick your brain some more later.

Back