6 axle freight trucks

NYSW F45

Does anyone knowif a company out there makes 6 axle freight trucks still? I won a bachman 6 axle heavy duty flat car off ebay for $9 but it might be to small for the odd kitbash I have in my head. Can anyone help me out?

Try the Athearn parts page, I think you can still get them.
Roco might have them as well?

Yep, depending on the era, either Buckeye friction bearing or roller bearing trucks. For whatever reason, they were about the only company that ever got into six wheel freight car trucks.

josh thanks for the walthes link. i didn't see any rolley bearing, but i guess friction could work. and i searched athearns site and found nothing but 6 axle passenger trucks.

Hummm I see a few:

Eastern Car Works Inc
117-9083 Six-Wheel Freight Trucks 1 Pair -- Buckeye Roller Bearing

Precision Scale Co.
585-3399 Six-Wheel Truck -- Buckeye Rolling
585-319710 Modern Buckeye Tender Trucks w/Timken Roller Bearings-Assembled -- 36" Wheels w/9' 6" Wheelbase

i am retarded. i have no clue why i wrote that earlier. maybe i dont see pics or something. weird.

but anyway, im just wondering why there is such a huge price difference between the eastern car works and precision scale. is it cause one's brass and the others probably plastic? eastern car works doesn't have pics to look at and i tried to google them but the site that came up no longer works.

oh and on a o/t note, i can't remember this site that specialized in tools and had a small section dedicated to ho trains.

Eastern Car works should be a kit, I.E. you have to assemble it, and add the wheels. Precision should be a single cast truck, or assembled, with wheels.

the one listing from precision for rolling doesn't say its a kit. im going to email them and find out. If it is a kit, will I have to solder anything together since its brass?

No, it should be screw togeather, as the center should be plastic, for isolation means.

well i found someone on ebay selling the athearn ones. For some reason i couldn't find them on athearns site, but they still sell them. I got 2 pair for $3 each and 3 shipping. Not to bad eitiher, and they'll be here alot quicker then if athearn was shipping them. So now i just need ot find a flat car to start with and see if i can make a double 6 axle depressed flat car.

I didn't want to start another thread for a similar topic.

Does anyone have pics of 6 axle freight cars? Looking for the more unusual kind. I thought I had seen a pic of a 6 axle tank car before.

This is the biggest tank car ever built and it rides on paired four wheel trucks. I'm not aware of any tank car that used six wheel trucks. Except for heavy load flat cars, steam engine tenders, and heavyweight passengers cars, six axle trucks were pretty rare. They were expensive to build and maintain so railroads avoided them except when there was no other option.

utlx83699.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You might like this puppy, I found it sitting in Sioux Lookout, Ont. on the CNR
There was a dozen different flats in the string with all kinds of wheel configurations. Might have a closeup somewhere...

Back