$50 Compressor

Red Oak & Western

I knew it would happen, it just occurred sooner than I expected. Lowes has lowered the price of the small 1 gallon compressor to $49.97. Its item number 98945 if you're interested.

Red Oak & Western,

I picked up this air compressor this week. I got a regulator and desiccant filter today. I'll try it out tomorrow.

What air pressure would you recommend I set the regulator at? I used a Paasehe compressor for years, never had to set that one.

100_1139.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The pressure setting is determined by the type of paint and thinning ratio that you use. I normally paint with Scalecoat II thinned at 50% and set the pressure from 20 to 25 psi. For weathering, the thinning ratio is closer to 75%, and I increase the pressure to around 35 psi because I like the "dusty" effect I get. I usually spray (thinned) acrylics at 10 to 15 psi. I haven't used Floquil, so I don't know what pressure to start with for their paints. Generally, start with the manufacturers' recommendations, then experiment till you get the results you like. You can paint (and re-paint and re-paint ...) an old shell or use scrap styrene for practice.

Back