4x8 Track Plans

Good evening all,
I posted this on another forum, but since it's my first post there, it hasn't shown up yet. I figured I'd go ahead and post it here to reach a different audience as well.

I've been constructing an HO scale layout that is a modern coal mine based in an Appalachian Mountain area served by NS. I'm at a point now (only a few trees, people, details, and new locomotives from here out.) where I'm ready to start the planning on a new layout. The build thread for this layout is located at http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19185. I considered O scale, since I really enjoy operating O scale and have the power, locomotives, and rolling stock to do so. I've even considered several track plans for it. However, knowing that I'm going to be moving within a year and not knowing the kind of space that I will have available to me once moved, I've opted to go for an N scale layout.

With that in mind, I've selected a 4x8 size to go with. I know there are many reasons why not to go with a 4x8, and have considered other options (around the wall, shelf, surround, etc...). I don't want to get into why or why not to build a 4x8, just track plan options (I'm also aware that I should design a track plan, then design the benchwork to suit).

I'm wanting to go with a Rocky Mountain theme this time around. Based somewhere in Colorado on a UP mainline (possibly shared with BNSF as well). I want it to be freelanced in the modern era to a point where older UP (and their fallen flag's) locomotives (SP AC-12, UP Big Boy, UP Challenger, UP GTEL, SP GS-4, etc... Though of these, only a challenger is in operation currently that I know of) can make an appearance without much detraction from the layout's theme. Broad curves (as broad as feasible) and minimal grades (1.5-2%) are my goals to allow for longer trains and bigger locomotives. I would like to have tunnels, bridges, and rivers on the layout. I'm looking for a good mix of continuous running and switching operation. My current HO layout is lacking in the switching department, and I'm looking to do more switching. As for industries, I haven't decided on that just yet. I've done coal on my HO layout, so I'm looking for something a bit different. Maybe some passenger service, maybe some intermodal, maybe dry goods, maybe produce, I'm still open for ideas on this.

I'm considering using a modified version of Atlas's N17 (Scenic and Relaxed) for this layout, but am open to other options. I've modified the plan to include a minimum radius of 17.5" and a minimum turnout of #7 with grades of 1.5-2%. However, I'm a bit leery of using the grade like that on the right hand side of the layout due to that particular grade having a turnout in the middle of the grade. I would like to avoid that. On this particular design, moving the grade before the turnout would increase the grade to 3-4% (a grade I'm trying to avoid on this layout, as my current layout has 4% grades).

Attached is my modified Scenic and Relaxed layout, as created in Atlas RTS (this is just an image file, if you want the actual .ral file, let me know).

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Shannon

I just started my first layout, and jumped right into a 4x8 (actually 4x6 is all I ended up building, but plan to expand on it someday). Having 4 feet of depth to work with seems ideal for a Rocky Mountain layout.

My layout is also a Colorado mountain scene, and I loosely based it off a town outside of Silverthorne, CO that the Blue River runs through, which was dammed in the 50s to create a reservoir. So my layout represents that town (and surrounding mountains) before the river was dammed. I made up my track plan from scratch, but it's interesting to see how it's somewhat similar to the one you're thinking about. It's probably a little bit light on switching opportunities, but to be honest, building a model of a realistic landscape and town is my priority, having a train run around it just makes it that much more fun and dynamic.

So.. those are my 2 cents, which probably aren't even worth 2 cents.. I didn't exactly offer any suggestions and this post is pretty worthless. :p But you're the only person I've seen in my limited searching that's building an N scale Rocky Mountain scene, so I guess I'm just saying "Cool!" and would love to see what you come up with!

Here's a shot of mine, with the track plan rotated to match the actual photo:
1plan.jpg
2plan.jpg

I used to have an N scale layout that was 3 x 6.
It was single track main with sidings and could run two trains in opposite directions.
Sort of a folded dogbone style with a cool loop with a crossover that people swore was a reverse loop but in fact was not!
Let me dig for a pic...

Since you have decided on a 4' x 8' layout I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that you look at some HO layout plans for that size table.

If you find something you like there plan it out as a full 4' x 8' foot layout.Use the same amount of N track and look at all the possiblities for scenery.The reason I said as a full 4' x 8' layout is that some folks seem to have the idea that you should reduce such a plan down to N scale.

(PS) there's nothing neater than a N scale train (no matter how long it is) gliding through a 18 to 21 inch radius curve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry it's taken me a while to respond to replies. I've been kinda busy with work, plus I've been contemplating a modular N-Trak layout, but decided against that.

Sammy V,
Cool Layout. I like the river and the mountains, in particular.

Rico,
If you have a pic of your layout, I'd like to see what it looked like. Maybe I could draw up some ideas for it.

Catt,
Really couldn't find any HO plans that I like that would fit what I want. Thank you for the suggestion, though, it gave me another avenue to check down.

After reviewing the modified N17 Scenic and Relaxed posted in my first post, I found that it really wasn't what I was looking for. I have, however, come up with a track plan, ideas for scenery, and how to make the scenery work with the track plan. I'm attaching 2 .jpg images of it to this post. 1 is of the track plan itself, the other is of the track plan with some descriptions of what I plan to do with it. I'm thinking of maybe making one of the sidings into an intermodal transfer terminal as well. I might could turn another into a passenger station siding (kind of a country or tourist line station). As for other industries, IDK. Curve radii are 21.75" and 20" on the main, siding has 18.75", the long curved siding has 15", and the 2 long sidings have a 71" radius to make it parallel to the mainline. All turnouts are #7. Track is Atlas Code 55. I would like to have all bridges be open deck girders (like the 80' one made by Micro-Engineering).

Any thoughts or suggestions for improvement on this layout?

Thanks in advance,
Shannon

4x8 in N scale is reasonably spacious, so there is also a possibility of using a backdrop, high mountains, or a combination of both down the center and treat it as a sort of "walk around shelf" layout, with different scenes available along essentially all four sides (if you have walk around room, that is). The track plan can still be similar to those already presented, just passing through tunnels or gulches to cross to the other side of the layout.

Oh, and if you can, work in some sort of staging! It will make the whole operation (run-throughs and locals switching on the modeled portion) much more fun and flexible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly liked your original plan better than the 2nd one you posted.

The 2nd one has the advantage of a longer mainline run but at the cost of space for anything else. If you look closely and start to plan what you want to use the sidings for, you will find there is little to no room left for scenery like buildings. Also, having a big quarry pit in the middle of the layout is going to look like... a big hole in the middle of your layout. That's going to detract a lot from the idea of Rocky Mountain scenery.

On your sidings, leaving more room around them for structures and scenery. It will be more satisfying in the long run to have 1 siding that actually goes to an industry than 2 parallel sidings to nowhere. Even if you are modeling a yard, it's still good to have enough room to add in details like yard buildings, sheds, offices, etc...

What I did...

Hi,
I'm mainly in HO scale, but wanted to do something in N to try scenery techniques on, + have somewhere to run some of my N scale equipment. Also I liked the looks of KATO's California Zypher, and Colorado in general.
What I did was simply convert the HO Denver & South Park, 4x8 layout in Linn Wescott's old 101 Trackplans book, to N scale. I added a few switches and sidings, and plan to have it represent the Glenwood Springs/Glenwood Canyon/Tennessee Pass. The plan is nice in that it has alternate routes, and interesting scenery possibilities. I did it mostly with Atlas track, & some Kato viaducts/bridges. I'm still in the process of doing the wiring.

Carl

Back