4 by 10 layout plan suggestions

PELindy

Hello all,

My grandson is finally old enough to give me the perfect excuse to build a model RR. (Grandma thinks it's for his benefit - hehe)

I had been considering something like the Atlas "Berkshire Valley Route" (layout HO-35) but the 4X12 plan is just large enough to have the missus looking at me in a bad way as I show her how much of "her" basement would be required. After some negotiations, she has agreed that a 4X10 layout would be acceptable.

Any suggestions for a printed track plan in that size would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Have you thought about running the layout around the wall rather than having a big layout in the middle of the basement? You can run a two foot shelf around the walls with a "blob" at either end to allow the train to turn and end up with lots more mainline trackage that you ever would from a 4x10. This also obviates the eternal problem of the big rectangle - you won't be able to reach part of your layout because the average reach is only 33", which means you need a hole somewhere in the middle and you'll have to do a lot of crawling around just to rerail a car. Since it sounds like you're in my age range, I can assure you that it's not fun. :)

Have you thought about running the layout around the wall rather than having a big layout in the middle of the basement? You can run a two foot shelf around the walls with a "blob" at either end to allow the train to turn and end up with lots more mainline trackage that you ever would from a 4x10. This also obviates the eternal problem of the big rectangle - you won't be able to reach part of your layout because the average reach is only 33", which means you need a hole somewhere in the middle and you'll have to do a lot of crawling around just to rerail a car. Since it sounds like you're in my age range, I can assure you that it's not fun. :)

I guess that would be a possibility. Now I just have to convince the missus that once the layout is completed (does that ever really happen?) it can be moved to the grandson's basement. (By the way, a 4X10 won't fit over there, either!) Perhaps a modular layout around the wall would be the way to go? Thoughts?

UP2CSX, thank you for the suggestion. I did a little research, downloaded the free Atlas layout design software, and modified one of the existing shelf layouts (Southside Connecting) to incorporate a mainline track along the rear of the shelf. That connects to two end sections that loop around behind the main shelf (so the whole shelf is now about 22" wide) at a slightly lower level (easily hidden by some scenery) with a passing track to complete a continuous mainline run.
It fits the basement without taking up the middle of the floor space, only occupies one wall, and (if I make the ends removable sections) can be transported if needed in the future.
Thanks again for the suggestion!

Glad to help. Most new modelers think of one big layout when an around the wall layout is really a much better option. Lots of mainline action and plenty of room for scenery and switching. It's also, as you say, much easier to disassemble and move a shelf layout than a big blob from the middle of the floor. :)

Back