3985 officially retired.

http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/3985-retired?reply=29868550241780989
kinda had thst feeling when ed dickens kept deflecting questions sbout her
the feeling is thst he considers the challenger steve lees engine jmho .... sad
Not sad, expected. One cannot let a previous presidents "pet project" over shadow the current president's. Pure politics and personal ash can kissing. The ultimate cost of trying to restore the big boy might be no steam at all. Everyone tired to explain this to the "restore a big boy" people but they wouldn't listen. Even the Cheyenne Frontier days train is going to be pulled by the E8s this year (and probably next too). I only hope the 844 gets funds before the big boy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sad, expected. One cannot let a previous presidents "pet project" over shadow the current president's. Pure politics and personal ash can kissing. The ultimate cost of trying to restore the big boy might be no steam at all. Everyone tired to explain this to the "restore a big boy" people but they wouldn't listen. Even the Cheyenne Frontier days train is going to be pulled by the E8s this year (and probably next too). I only hope the 844 gets funds before the big boy.
I agree with steve lee is out along with "his" restored pet project
But im hearing now that it not gone officially but will be done after 4014
So it will still be a lonnnnng time anyway

An operating Big Boy is going to be headlining. 844 couldnt be too far off from back operating, 4014 needs a full workover.

I thought that 3985 was still being re-restored, but maybe I got it wrong maybe it was 844. Why would UP retire 3985 When they could have two of the biggest locomotives ever built prowling the rails again. but who knows.

Tim

You could mothball 3895 for a while while the Big Boy gets going, the Big Boy is a never been done thing, so its big news. Expect plenty of hype from this and attention, while 3985 takes a rest.

Back