1960 photo I found intresting

bluecityblue

A intresting old picture
usa60s611cf4.png

That is a pretty good shot, lots of track. Any information on it such as location?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it's all newly laid since there's no sign of ballast. I wonder where they got the ties for that bottom track in the photo? :)

Could be cinders, Josh, but I've also never seen a yard where the top of each tie was so clean. I still think the track was either just laid or rehabilitated and hasn't been leveled with whatever they are using for ballast. Hopefully the OP will be able to give us some answers.

Did a search on the image name and came up with a few more that have similar naming convention and photo style. It is a stream of "life in 1960" photos - here's a link to the Google cached page of URLs.

Some more train related ones, could it be the same yard?

usa60s60ld7.jpg

usa60s59lv3.jpg

usa60s571lh0.jpg

usa60s621wz3.jpg

Love the last one - what a great shot.

Mark

Is that a woman running that Pressure Washer? If it is I would hate to get in a fight with her! I ran a Large pressure wash before all day and you hurt at the end of the day! Both people look to have earned their Beer! Where's Mike Rowe that looks like a good dirty job for him!!LOL's

They are photos from Jack Delano. He was known for his color slides from the forties. You can find a whole slew of them at the library of congress website. I also found this website

shorpy.com/jack-delano-photos

Cool Photos all the way around !!!Would make sense if it was the forties . Rosie running the pressure hose and newly laid track to handle the extra flow of materials !

Back