1950`s Tank Cars

Marv

I'm trying keep to the fifties era and older. What is a good choice for a high detail tank car. From my research so far I see that the cars of that Arrow had a frame under so would look for that design I like the atlas idea of rotating bearings truck axles

I'm trying keep to the fifties era and older. What is a good choice for a high detail tank car. From my research so far I see that the cars of that Arrow had a frame under so would look for that design I like the atlas idea of rotating bearings truck axles
Well, I can't find a reference but I don't believe the exposed rotating wheel bearings on freight car axles existed in the 1950s. I would say 1963 would be the earliest. Personally I don't remember seeing any until the mid 1970s on large tank cars.

Also Norfolk Southern (at least not that Norfolk Southern) didn't exist until 1982. That logo is even newer - 2005 specifically.

A much more detailed an better car for 1950s would be:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-O-30...:Tl8AAOSwfVpYoIal:sc:USPSPriority!80241!US!-1

If you like the MTH railking how about.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MTH-RAILKI...946609&hash=item5b30e16e8c:g:dsYAAOSw2xRYYZjZ

Now that I search my brain I certainly agree rotating axles did not appear till later I got caught up in the fact the model was using them sounded great for detail thank you so much for your suggestion I just placed an order

Thanks so much for your posts, tank car arrived and is now part of a small freight, looks absolutely beautiful.

Attachments

• SCO Tank car perspective.jpg
    SCO Tank car perspective.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 353
  • SCO Tank car side.jpg
    SCO Tank car side.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 445
Also fun researching the development and production of this actual car plus "SCO line, inc." Happens this is South Cotton Oil commpany located in Columbia, SC and also had a plant in Mecklenburg Co NC, the county in which we now reside. Sounds like the 5 degrees of seperation thing.

Also fun researching the development and production of this actual car plus "SCO line, inc." Happens this is South Cotton Oil commpany located in Columbia, SC and also had a plant in Mecklenburg Co NC, the county in which we now reside. Sounds like the 5 degrees of seperation thing.
Well that is a delightful coincidence. I've started collecting tank cars from Tulsa OK, just because of proximity.

Now that I search my brain I certainly agree rotating axles did not appear till later I got caught up in the fact the model was using them sounded great for detail thank you so much for your suggestion I just placed an order

The "rotating axle [bearing]s" you're referring too (all axles rotate) are roller bearings, vs. the old style "plain" (sometime also referred to as friction bearings.

The old style plain bearings featured a solid axle end which turned on brass bearing inserts inside the journal box which was filled with lubricating oil. These boxes were (obviously) enclosed with little covers on top for inspection, maintenance and topping off the oil.

The modern roller bearings feature a sealed package of roller bearings attached to the end of the axle which is able to rotate inside the truck journal. Since this is a sealed package, the roller bearing doesn't have to be enclosed and is visible, so you can see the ends of the roller package turning.

Roller bearings did exist in the 1950s but were pretty uncommon on freight equipment.

Back