$100 DCC System?

bklynman01

I don't have any DCC right now, but have been thinking about it for running a small section of the layout. Just about all of my equipment is DC, so I'll be starting with only 1 train to control. However, even if I ran the entire layout in DCC, I would only have 3 trains maximum. No wyes, or turnarounds, nothing fancy.

All that being said, does the system below look like a viable option? My budget is $150 or less, which is why I'm looking for an older used system. Any input/advice is appreciated!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/199283...aGUH5K7Q-jST9jZDNHBpF7-FsiKUnrgv2mxoCTNTw_wcB

I often see the NCE name. It seems to be the top name, but generally pricey. Their website is a headache to navigate. I would think that if I were trying to sell a product to people that know nothing about my product, some more work would be put into selling that item.

Honestly, I will only be running one loco with DCC to start. It is running on a switch back setup, so DCC does have it's advantages there. I don't need to walk around with the controller - having a mounted throttle/control is perfectly fine. All things considered, I'm really just interested in keeping the cost down. However, I realize that you pay what you get for, so a $50 system may not be desirable at all. Hence the question about this particular system.

If you can manage $120, get the NCE DCC Twin:

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/NCE-DCC-Twin-Entry-Level-DCC-System-p/nce-524046.htm

The NCE DCC Twin will run two DCC locomotives right out of the box and can be expanded to run more as your layout grows. NCE's suggested price is $159.95, but as you can see at the link above, it sells for much less than that.

In my opinion, for just a bit more money, the DCC Twin is a better choice than the item you found at Etsy.

- Jeff

I agree with Jeff's recommendation.

If you can manage $120, get the NCE DCC Twin:

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/NCE-DCC-Twin-Entry-Level-DCC-System-p/nce-524046.htm

The NCE DCC Twin will run two DCC locomotives right out of the box and can be expanded to run more as your layout grows. NCE's suggested price is $159.95, but as you can see at the link above, it sells for much less than that.

In my opinion, for just a bit more money, the DCC Twin is a better choice than the item you found at Etsy.

- Jeff

You can add a cab somewhere down the line then have a full DCC system. http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/NCE-ProCab-Deluxe-Handheld-Throttle-p/nce-524010.htm

Finally if your budget is firm you could go with this for $119.99 http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-36505-Dynamis-DCC-Controller-p/bac-36505.htm That is a full DCC system, Price is more attractive then when I bought my NCE DCC Twin and ProCab. I would have seriously considered buying this one at that price. In fact I want one now and I added it to my wish list.

Any NMRA compliant system will do what it is advertised to do.

In my thinking when it comes to sophisticated electronics, buy new so you have some warranty protection.

Need more information? http://www.modelrailroadbookstore.c...odel-Railroader-Books-Wiring-Electronics.html I can almost guarantee you will be happy you bought that book no matter which system you buy.

You will find DCC is a lot of fun and for me interesting to learn about.

To answer your original question.

$100 DCC System?

$89.99 http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-44902-EZ-Command-DCC-Control-System-p/bac-44902.htm A very basic entry level DCC system, that can be upgraded despite what you may have heard. It is out of stock now but you could find it elsewhere or asked to be emailed when they have it in stock again. They had 25 or 30 of these when I check last, a few weeks ago.

Again, I believe All NMRA DCC compliant systems will do as they are advertised to do. The thing to do is to match a system to your tastes and of course your budget.

I don't have any DCC right now, but have been thinking about it for running a small section of the layout. Just about all of my equipment is DC, so I'll be starting with only 1 train to control. However, even if I ran the entire layout in DCC, I would only have 3 trains maximum. No wyes, or turnarounds, nothing fancy.

All that being said, does the system below look like a viable option? My budget is $150 or less, which is why I'm looking for an older used system. Any input/advice is appreciated!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/199283...aGUH5K7Q-jST9jZDNHBpF7-FsiKUnrgv2mxoCTNTw_wcB

johne, Thank you for the message. I have PM'd the seller. If that doesn't work, I'll look at purchasing from modeltrainstuff.com. I also put the word in at my LHS for a good used system.

There is a club local to me that uses NCE DCC. I may try to make a trip there on an operating night to ask questions and maybe get some short experience with my loco. I have to admit - I'm a little uneasy about making the transition. I'm sure that once it's installed and I'm comfortable using it, it will be the preferred way. Just never used it before.

Thank you guys for all the help! Much appreciated! I'll be sure to update this thread with the final decision.

keep in mind how many functions that the system will operate easily. for non sound you only need a couple of functions that you can operate. if you make the "mistake" some of us have and venture into sound locomotives, they have many more functions. sound decoders-like potato chips, cant just stop at one.

To me, what the review says is "meh. It works. But it's not so great. " and what the conclusion says is "they're an advertiser, so let's temper that with a politically correct summation. "

The costs are much lower when you don't have to print and distribute, and therefore it's quite likely that advertising revenue would cover the costs.

G'day....You only have one problem...So many great choices in DCC now...You can go in an ever growing variety of ways...The one you're looking at , MRC Prodigy is great I believe...They'll all do the basics very well anyway , whatever you buy. Your only real consideration is if you just might want to run more later on and if it's wise now to allow for that but as the DCC market is so competitive , even the higher end items are getting more affordable...AND...look for sales...I went originally with a Bachmann Dynamis..I still use it occasionally..then I bought a more elaborate ROCO Multimaus real cheap..but it couldn't handle some brands as well as I needed for proramming so I ended up switching to NCE Powercab..I think that was about $170..the basic unit (1.7 amp) and I can run at least three consists with that..On average each loco draws about .16 to .20 of an amp to get going...and a bit more of course under load..Won't try and tell you what to buy but you do have numerous options and some are very very affordable. It's a buyers market for sure..Cheers Rod.

Well if you don't mind starting with and old, most probably used, and technically obsolete unit; both MRC Command-2000s and Atlas Commanders can be had on ebay for $10-$25. I've had two Command-2000s for about 18 years now (wow has it really been that long?). Since I now have 6 other DCC systems they have been relegated to Christmas tree duty but they still work just fine. I like them because they are the only unit that has ever been made with three physical throttles (no playing video game to switch between channels).

Here is one of them, closest to the camera, on last year's (2013) Christmas Forest layout.
Christmas2013Controls.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back