027 Engine sources?

Beachbum

I model in HO, dabble in N, but I'm looking for a 3-rail engine that can handle 027 curves that my grandkids can run. I have several cars and a transformer from old "Christmas" trainsets.

Any suggestions on a good source for engines not in trainsets? I'm looking for relatively inexpensive non-collectible tinplate, I guess. I checked Walthers and Klein Bros but didn't see anything under $150.

Thanks.

You might look for the Beep. the company is located in NJ, and makes one truck versions of an F unit and Geep, in addition to a shorty RDC. I have the shorty RDC, which runs nicely, and has nice lights, + a horn I think(my Type W transformer doesn't have a horn button). You can probably find them on 'the bay,' or maybe google them. My RDC cost about $80 a few years back....

Look on the E@@@ auction site. I have been collecting some Marx tin for my grand kids to play with.
A nice 2-4-2 can be had for around 30 including shipping.
Lionel usually fetches a little more.
Marx couplers are different from Lionel!
Marx loco's don't play nice with Lionel switches due to the slide power pickup.

^ +1 on the RMT (Ready Made Toys) Beep. Their Bang (an upgrade of the old K-Line S-2) is also a great little engine. Williams by Bachmann is another good source for inexpensive and reliable O-27 engines. Their 44 tonner (grossly over-scale but a good runner nonetheless) was recently on sale for $79.

Back