Search results

1. P

What are you buying this Month?

My weathering skills are pretty bad but I'm trying to improve. I'll save this pic! Something to aspire to :D
  2. P

What are you buying this Month?

Stopped by the LHS on the way home from work to see if the $4.00 plastic had come in so I could finish my retaining wall. It hadn't come in so I got this $30 dollar boxcar. I can't let this become a pattern or they'll never tell me my plastic has arrived 🤣
  3. P

Returning to model railroads after 40+ year hiatus

Welcome! I second that DCC is the easiest way to run two locos on the layout (plus other benefits). Digitrax is a huge name and very popular. I however use NCE, another big and popular brand. I'm sure plenty of help can be found here for either system!
  4. P

The BGR (Bruette's Goofy Railroad)

You're right. "Guilty" is the wrong word. Both of my ready built structures were a gift from my mother. She loves those things :D
  5. P

A beginner's layout

Got some walls inside the tunnel today. Nothing's glued in place yet. I'll have to remove everything and spray paint before I glue in place. I can see it coming together! Continuing with the elevated city scene will have to wait until I can get some more buildings and assemble them :(
  6. P

I'm guilty of owning a couple of ready built structurers too 😂 I don't have any artistic skill either but while nothing I've built and painted is going to win any awards I'm pretty happy with them. Give a kit a try you may surprise yourself :)
  7. P

Wow! I've experienced reaching into the pocket of a jacket not worn for a while and finding a twenty dollar bill but I've never reached in and found two beautiful kits and a locomotive that I've forgotten about :D It's Christmas in April for Louis :D
  8. P

Beginner's tunnel portal question

Thanks, Smudge! I surprised myself!!! Does this count as a scratch build? Did I just scratch build something? 😲
  9. P

Thanks, Mike :D
  10. P

A beginner's layout

The wall is just about done. I was short one piece or the coping at the top so hopefully I can pick that up this weekend. I also plan to add a wall inside the tunnel to hide the tracks behind the mainline this weekend.
  11. P

Thanks for the help everyone! I got out of work early today and went to town on this :D. I wanted to post it here for those who don't follow my build thread. I came up one piece of plastic short for the coping at the top but the front of the wall is just about done (still needs to be painted)...
  12. P

Thanks. The wall is a big concrete retaining wall so I think I'll try to just cut the opening and use styrene strips to frame it and see how that looks first
  13. P

Looks like the station cat wandered off again......

I’m sure I’ve been away for more than ten days and I never saw anyone worrying that I was roadkill or caught by a coyote 🤣🤣🤣 Just kidding
  14. P

Layout Design Help!?!

I am very much an operations guy too. I also wanted continuous running so I ended up with two small staging locations (north and south) outside of an oval and a modest yard inside the oval. A few industries near the yard and two off the mainline is working for me :D
  15. P

Layout Design Help!?!

Have you considered an around the room? I know given your space it wouldn't actually be "around the room". Mine is a 12'x 12' with a 3' peninsula (aisles are 3' wide). The aisle width doesn't just matter for operating comfort, you'll also need to get in there to work on it. It's a duck under...
  16. P

I actually was familiar with the 0-5-0. Good lookin' out though :D
  17. P

Under the lake

I'm only a beginner but I did a mock up water scene before building my layout. I can tell you that I used Plaster of Paris and used WS Deep Pour water and was happy with it. I'm afraid I don't have any pics of the mock up though.
  18. P

Thanks. Now I'm not sure if I'll buy one or build one into the wall myself.... To be continued. Tune in to my build thread this weekend to find out :D
  19. P

Thanks, Rico! I just threw a tape on my scene and that looks a little tight to me :confused:. The portal will be part of a wall I'm building from styrene, maybe I will try to build the portal with styrene 🤔
  20. P

Hi, all! I'm working on a tunnel scene in which a single track at a 24" radius will pass through a portal. I'm wondering what the dimensions of the opening of a commercially available two track portal are to know if it will allow my trains to pass through. Thanks!

Back