Search results

1. J

Let's see your police/fire scenes

Sorry about ambiguity Parting out the entire layout - 10 x 16 Fire Scene w/trucks, figures and smoke generator - asking $75 + priority. Click on sig link for more pix. Thanks for looking. Jon
  2. J

Bridge plans

Chemdawg - you inquired about a 2 lane, wooden trestle bridge. Is this for auto or rail traffic? and did you mean trestle or through truss bridge? Wikipedia has a good pix of a wooden trestle bridge https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trestle A good program to design your own for an understanding...
  3. J

starting over

And another "welcome back". I, too, took a 30+ year break (kids and careers) and got back into it when I heard a DCC steam loco!!! The point made about finishing the shed first is important. I still haven't finished the mudding and painting :( electrical could use a little more attention :(...
  4. J

resizing building plans

I use a CAD program to resize - the problem with going from N to HO scale is the loss of resolution.
  5. J

advice needed BEFORE the water is poured

new2 - I've found that ANY hole in the base will allow your poured "water" to drain. After getting a nice smooth coating on my floor I started sealing the pond bed before pouring the "filling" mix. I also discovered that MAGIC WATER (and the cheaper versions from the big box stores) will wick...
  6. J

Central of Georgia Box car

The latest scratch built - tank car and flat car. Plans from Car Builders Dictionary and Railway Age - circa 1910. The tank car is from 1 1/4" PVC pipe and basswood. Flat car from sheet styrene, angle and channel. Will add a farm-equipment box when I get lettering for it. Seeking Merit Award...
  7. J

My first 0n30 layout

Very nice scenic details - quality modeling. Thanks, Xavier, for posting.
  8. J

How to CORRECTLY model water.

big box stores offer a 2 part in their paint depts used for decoupage. Sorry, I don't remember the name but it is a lot less expensive and works very well. There are a couple pix on my Nickle Flats brag page. Just went out to the shop - Glaze Coat is what I used, from Lowes...
  9. J

And a couple more pix. Forgive the HO scenery :] Also built a set of track scales on a display stand. Received MA - Structures.
  10. J

Just finished this C of G (P:48) to submit for NMRA Merit Award. Its a double wall, wood frame, ventilated car that was found in the 1902 The Railway Age publication. A fun project to build and it did receive MA at 103 points.
  11. J

Weekly Photo Fun 7-9/7-15

ianacole "--. I have chain, but I'd like to find some turn-buckles."-- Grandtline has a couple different sizes of turnbuckles - both plastic and brass
  12. J

wow - will you spike each individual tie?
  13. J

Jeffery, you're looking good - subtle is the key. The powders look like they do make a difference - will have to get some. Matt, Very nice, for your layout or a commission? Crandell - the way 1641 is blowing looks like the fireman is in over drive ;o) John P - Show us when complete - you've...
  14. J

Photo Fun for the week 21 - 28 May 2010

Terry - you've got HobbyTown. They started off with some RR stuff but have drifted away from most of it. The do have basswood, wire and other scratch building supplies. Got to head down there in the next week to pick up some. Its cheaper to buy online and pay the shipping than the 6 gallons of...
  15. J

Terry, very nice. HO scale? Good idea on the PC ties. That might solve one of my problems. Gainesville - any NMRA club activity in that area?
  16. J

My first shot at re-decalling. Added lettering on the existing yellow stripe on the cowling and removed and applied decal to cab.
  17. J

Experiment with photo paper

DANG- that is tiny!!!! Just over an 1/8" on the sub-assembly? !!! be sure to keep us posted if you change threads.
  18. J

IowaFarmBoy - I've had good success up to the points that you make: its the application that is causing frustration. After applying, I use decal set and quickly blot the excess. An hour or so later, the blurring is visible. :( Ed - sorry about a slight change of focus on your thread.
  19. J

The back of the paper "Inkjet/Clear waterslide decal paper" - no other names but I got it from beldecal@bellsouth.net, Bell Inc, Miami - 305-593-0911. And if I remember, they have a website.
  20. J

Good points. Have you had success with water-transfer-film for an inkjet? I printed my decal, let it dry for 24 hrs, sprayed with Dulcote and let dry for 24. I cut about 1/32 back from printed color and they still blurred when applied. Re applied one 3 times and still not satisfied. Any...

Back