Search results

1. railBuilderDhd

Reading electronic schematics

I was looking at some schematics about DCC signal to Arduino to use DCC to operate the Arduino. The schematic I have found it very detailed but many of the items listed do not have all the specs so I'm not sure what components to purchase. I know I'm very new at electronics so I wanted to know...
  2. railBuilderDhd

Decoder wire sizes

I was just thinking about this and wanted to know if anyone knows the sizes of the decoder wire used on decoders? I was thinking the wire is something like 30awg. That correct and what about the outer diameter size? I have no clue what that size is. Does anyone just but wire to use or they...
  3. railBuilderDhd

Size of heat shrink most often used in model railroads

Hey guys, I was looking at the heat shrink you can find on eBay and wanted to know what sizes user find they need the most. I would rather but 3 or 4 sizes and not a pack of all kinds of sizes. I'm thinking sizes 3/32, 3/64, and 1/16. Maybe 1/8 but would I need that size much? Love to hear...
  4. railBuilderDhd

Programming the loco address and out goes the lights??

I have a Broadway Limited Blueline GE C30-7. I had to reset the decoder to default because the locomotive stopped responding. When I did this the loco worked fine with address 03. When I tried to change the address to 4 number address the loco would work with the new address but the light no...
  5. railBuilderDhd

Design Preservation Models quality changes

I wanted to know if anyone has noticed a change in the quality of the DPM kits over the last couple of years? I was reading some reviews and it seems like people complained about the quality of the kits over the last few years. I just wanted to hear what others have to say. Thanks, Dave
  6. railBuilderDhd

Programming a BLI locomotive

I have a BLI loco I was trying to program with my Digitrax Zephyr but I'm not able to get it programmed at all. I was able to get it reset and the address to work on 03 but now I'm not able to get the new address to stick. I tried on the program track and with OPS on the mainline. I thought I...
  7. railBuilderDhd

Radius SweepSticks

Greetings, I'm getting ready to lay some track soon and this has me thinking about sweepsticks from Fast Tracks. I wanted to know if others have found ways to make these much cheaper then buying them? I figure it can't be to hard to cut some out that would work as well as the purchased...
  8. railBuilderDhd

working with foam below your track

Hi Guys, I'm working on the foam below my track and have questions about what others are doing or should I just purchase the WS foam risers and not bother with this myself. I'm trying to create a grade about 2°. When I cut the foam I'm not getting a even surface to run my track. I was...
  9. railBuilderDhd

Micro Engineering and Central Valley bridges

Whats the deal with these two companies? I just started building my first ME kit. I have to say that these two companies kits seem like they are designed by the same designer. I was thinking that these must have been in business together and then there was a falling out or something. I was...
  10. railBuilderDhd

Digitrack Digitrax DS52 and servo motors

Can anyone tell me if the Digitrax DS52 can be used to control a servo motor being used for turnout control? Thanks Dave
  11. railBuilderDhd

Walthers SceneMaster Single-Sided Hanging Traffic Light

Greeting folks, I wanted to know if anyone has used the mentioned street lights on their layouts. Can you tell me the size of the light fixture and how did you get it "hanging" in the scene. I'm guessing the wire the light hangs from is in fact the wires to the light bulbs. Here is a link to...
  12. railBuilderDhd

Arduino and servo's to control turnouts with DCC

So I'm starting on the mission of controlling my turnouts with a servo motor controlled by an Arduino. I want to be able to use my DCC (Digitrax) network along with buttons on the layout near the turnouts to control from there as well. I will be doing my best to not have this based on one DCC...
  13. railBuilderDhd

Power supply switch

I was looking to purchase a switch for the power supply for on/off from the wall outlet to the power supply. The power supply will be used to power the LEDs on my layout. I would like to get a illuminated switch to mount on the control board. I was figuring the switch must be rated for 120V not...
  14. railBuilderDhd

Show and tell: your electronic panel

As I turn. Y focus to the electronics for my layout and learn more I find myself curious on how others are doing things. There are some things that are common no matter what DCC system you use. That's more of what I'm looking for. I don't want to start a thread where everyone talks about their...
  15. railBuilderDhd

Lok Sound decoders

I have been noticing a lot of post about people using these Lok Sound decoders. I wanted to know if these have become the new standard to use. I have a few QSI decoders as they sounded good and a few years ago I thought they were some of the best you could get. Now I see the Lok Sound decoders...
  16. railBuilderDhd

Laptop Power Supplies used for accessories on your layout

I've started this thread so not to take over the original thread this discussion started on. The original discussion was about calculating Ohms and can be found here http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?39658-Calculating-Ohms/. This thread is to further discuss how to...
  17. railBuilderDhd

GE Plant tour video

I just ran into this video on a different site and thought I would share with you guys. Enjoy. GE youtube video Dave
  18. railBuilderDhd

making Digitrax locoNet wires

Greetings guys, As many know now I'm getting on with the home layout and because I have Digitrax equipment already and the local club I'm a member of use Digitrax I will use Digitrax on my layout. My question for the moment is about the do-it-yourself locoNet wires. Can I used cat3 or...
  19. railBuilderDhd

New Layout - need DCC help

Hey Folks, I'm building my home layout (as you may already know) and getting excited as I see the bench work going up. When I was researching before I read that it's best to wire as much as you can before you cover the top with your plywood. This got me thinking about what I need to wire a...
  20. railBuilderDhd

DPM, Rix and Smalltown models

I was looking at some buildings for sale and wanted to know if anyone has any feedback on the Smalltown build kits or parts. I would like to know if the details are as nice as the DPM models or if the scale of these was off. I can't tell from the pictures if the bricks are to scale or so large...

Back