Search results

1. lmackattack

What For You Is The Most Enjoyable Part of Model railroading?

Right now Im enjoying the electronics side of things. We installed a signal system at my club last year and all the electronic and computer stuff is really adding to the layout. JMRI has been a big part of the project and Operations has made the layout feel like a real railroad instead of a...
  2. lmackattack

Wireless DC transformer for G scale ?

Im building a garden layout for a family and they want to start out with DC power for now. Im wondering if there is a MFG of wireless DC control for G scale. the issue I am finding is that I need about a 10 amp unit and most I find are 5 or less.
  3. lmackattack

Loco(s) for Walthers 10-car Olympian Hiawatha

a former club member past away 2 years ago and left his equipment to his best friend ( another club member). The new owner spread some of the equipment to other members. I was fortunate to receive a complete set of the walthers 1955 twin city Hiawatha. Power comes from E7's # 19 and 19A...
  4. lmackattack

Resistor wheelsets for detection ( what resistance to use?)

I was using something found on Ebay "wire glue". I think its just graphite? what is the name of the stuff you are using? I have lots of cars with metal wheels but Plastic axles...
  5. lmackattack

I started with 10K resistors on 2 wheels but that was not giving solid detection. I was also having issues with these 10K on plastic axles. the "wire paint" just does not do as good as a job as some have claimed. As soon as I tried the 4.7K on one metal axle the detection was triggered reliably...
  6. lmackattack

Yesterday We tried Jaybee wheelsets at 15k and that did not trigger. We then tested 10k resistors and it was still not a reliable trigger. I had some resistors laying around and it seams 4.7k was a solid trigger. is this to low of a value? Im worried about power loss but I do also have plenty of...
  7. lmackattack

Im a little confused with what resistance value I should use for wheel sets My club layout is using the team Digital Block D8 detection device. It simply passes one of the buss leads from the command station/ through the device /and then to the track. It detects current flow. It is also...
  8. lmackattack

How to make plastic ho couplers function well in long trains

you throw them in the garbage and install metal.....No joking here....Plastic are ok for short trains (less than 10 cars) but other than that they are a PITA.
  9. lmackattack

Trucks

Metal wheels are a very good buy and improve running reliability. My opinion is as long as the truck frame is true and straight and can pivot freely thats all you need. keep them a little on the louse side so that the car can negotiate less than perfect track. I think that most derailments are...
  10. lmackattack

Lake County Il Railroad Club

Please check us out and like us on Face book Currently Seeking new members that enjoy modeling the Steam Diesel transition era https://www.facebook.com/groups/550859331734486/
  11. lmackattack

WPF Nov. 14 - 20

some vids I made recently https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wgAaDmCV_0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fkdp6_pmsU
  12. lmackattack

Proto 2000 Questions

I love scooping up old Proto 2000 locos on Ebay or facebooks HO yard sale group for $30 and converting them to DCC and adding new axles. I just bought a A-B-A Alco FA units , both a units powered , for $50 last week. Had them on the club layout and people thought they were brand new LOL...there...
  13. lmackattack

Wpf 9/20/15 - 9/26/15

14. lmackattack

Wpf 9/20/15 - 9/26/15

the diesel facility at the Lake County Model railroad club
  15. lmackattack

MTH 2-6-6-6 Allegheny

It is a proto sound 3 That's great to know because I want to remap it to standard dcc layout. Thanks for the tip.
  16. lmackattack

MTH 2-6-6-6 Allegheny

Surly To start off this is my First MTH locomotive purchase. Out of the box its impressive to see such a large scale looking loco. in my opinion the loco is just as nicely detailed as a Broadway, Brass or other high end steam mfg. Its Heavy, the boiler ,frame and tender are all made from die...
  17. lmackattack

Athearn gear ratios

are we talking older Athearn vs new? or both are of the same years of MFG? I know Proto 2000 went back and forth with ratios on some of their locomotives. Not sure about Athearn. If you can run them both on a section of track it should be obvious if one is alot faster than the other. if they...
  18. lmackattack

Illinois Central Fans (steam diesel era)

There is a guy on Ebay selling some large lots of IC stuff. If you model IC you know its hard to find some good stuff and even harder to find it in bulk. I picked up a bunch of Coal cars and Box cars sponsored by the Illinois Central RR society 2009-2011. Here is my first half of my grab...
  19. lmackattack

MTH 2-6-6-6 Allegheny

old thread. but I just picked up a MTH H8 Allegheny this week off Ebay. Got it new in box for $390 not bad considering the MSRP... This is a great looking locomotive and hope it pulls as good as it looks
  20. lmackattack

Need some insight from people who have driven locomotives

Not sure if you know this but TCS (train control systems) Has a DCC decoder that lets you "Drive" your model train similar to the real thing. they call it WOW sound decoder. How it works you turn the knob on your controller and the train slowly starts to move with the labor sounds of a heavy...

Back