Search results

1. MOWboss

Oops! We ran into some problems. Still.....

I've been getting this message for the last week or so when I try to get in. The only way I can connect to this forum is to go to the alert bell and select an alert that will then get me into the site. I thought that the sign in problem was fixed but in my case not so. BTW - I aint computer...
  2. MOWboss

What's in a name...

Just completed "the bad side of town" or the wrong side of town or the other side of the tracks. The kind of area that your parents warned you about and was generally spoken in quiet whispers. Need help in calling it something. Looking for a name that conjures up an image in old sailors and...
  3. MOWboss

Anyone have any experience with "plastic welding?"

I keep trying to improve my scratch building proficiency. I've been experimenting with incorporating dissimilar plastics like Styrene, Sentra and "kit plastics." It seems there are so many types of plastic used now that glue ups become a chemistry lesson. I like using Sentra (for strength) and...
  4. MOWboss

Old white wash brick building effect.

I need to make a "flat" and have the Atlas HO Middlesex Manufacture Company. The brick details are good but the finished effect can be better. I like the old and worn out look (a lot like me....). I'll show you how quick & easy it is to paint the building white and make it show its age and poor...
  5. MOWboss

Can someone translate "Jump to New?"

I don't know if its me, my computer or something I'm missing but... When I go to HOME or FEATURED or FORUMS, open a long thread like; "Running Bears April 2023 Coffee Shop," It'll open in the middle of page 78 or 79 or 80 (out of 87 pages). When I select JUMP TO NEW (right corner) I'm moved...
  6. MOWboss

Downtown Deco Boobie Hatch measurements

I'm laying out a stretch of rundown seedy businesses. I'd like to use this building adjacent to a curved track. The details claim the building footprint is 4" x 6" however the picture appears to show the building as more triangular. Anyone have better measurements?
  7. MOWboss

Searching for NOT glue

For some time I've been looking for - well that stuff that secures your credit card to the authentication letter. Appreciate it if anyone knows what that product might be. I want to experiment with it as a third or fourth hand to temporarily hold things together to check for fit. And it appears...
  8. MOWboss

No Space - No Problem....

Just finishing a five stall round house for my steam facility. I wanted the flavor of a steam era service facility but didn't want to commit all the real estate that went with it on this layout. So in one corner I put in a turntable and the other corner I located the roundhouse. This corner...
  9. MOWboss

Paint storage and selection.

I took a break the other day to clear my mind. I find that painting figures and detail parts therapeutic for me. I always try to have something in progress either cleaning, priming or ready for paint. I just finished painting a half dozen bookcase, shelf detail units. I'm sure you've seen those...
  10. MOWboss

Any dedicated car ideas?

Anyone have a daily, no matter what, dedicated car scenario?. Looking for ideas about that one car that causes headaches for the train crew when they're making their run. Here's a couple of examples... My mentor has a logging, milling operation in the mountains - there's NO water! Every day -...
  11. MOWboss

Bachmann E-Z Lube Rail & Road Track Cleaner

My hobby shop highly recommended Bachmann E-Z Lube (Rail & Road Track Cleaner). An added benefit is improving conductivity. Anyone here use this product and have any recommendations or tips? How long between applications? I need to clean inside tunnels and plan on using Woodland Scenics "Tidy...
  12. MOWboss

Lets talk roofing shingles ... please

Just went to my roofing shingle stash. Need about 21 square inches for a commercial 3 tab roof. I have partial packets from 6 suppliers. Of those I have 8 styles of 3 tab. And you guessed it - not enough for my 21 sq inch roof! So this weekend I purchased (more than enough) more shingles to...
  13. MOWboss

They're Back

FYI.... Those of us have waited for nearly 2 years for the many excellent detail parts to be available again... https://www.railroadkits.com/
  14. MOWboss

Help with decals

I've had the desire to build a 3 or 4 story factory. The inspiration was the advertising rather than the building. I could never wrap my head around the white lettering. I used a PAINT graphics program to reproduce the Coke logo and words on a red background. Also reproduced the other white...
  15. MOWboss

Magnetic Flat Car Loads - Proof of Concept.

I've been playing around with the idea of magnetic loads for flat cars.. It struck me that every flat car has a metal weight plate under the plastic deck. I set out to find a magnet that was small enough and strong enough that it would securely hold a load on a flat car deck. For my test load I...
  16. MOWboss

Layout room lighting

Need help understanding the new LED lingo.... My layout is currently illuminated by (6) 4 bulb fluorescent light fixtures. One switch turns on 2 bulbs (per fixture), the other switch turns on the remaining 2 bulbs. With a mix of 40 watt cool white and warm white I get the feeling of early...
  17. MOWboss

Signage Hack

Came across my stash of sign hacks. Thought I'd share. The sign board is about 24" square (HO). File off the logo, trim to size, paint. I plant these at essential locations; turnout numbers, uncouplers or wherever. I've used decals or made paper prints (UN C) to glue on. They're cheap, pretty...
  18. MOWboss

Adding general sound

Don't know if there's been a discussion on this topic. A few weeks ago I came across Ngineering web site. They have a large library of sound (and light effects) that has added a new dimension to my layout. I ordered #81(Fog horn & surf sounds) to my harbor area a few weeks ago. Just finished...

Back