Search results

1. oldstuff

What car at the tail of a consist pre WW2?

I'm used to UK practice, where each independent section of a train needed a guard, either in a seperate van, or in a special compartment in a passenger/brake carriage, either at the rear or in the middle of the train, but I'm not clear what US practice in the steam era was (specifically 30s...
  2. oldstuff

Looking for PRR Fleet of Modernism colour scheme details

I found a source online for a measured plan of the Fleet of Modernism paint scheme, but failed to bookmark it. The only image I have is too low res to see the measurements. Anyone know where the site is? Or can point me to the measurement info?
  3. oldstuff

1930s Passenger Car liveries?

I know that the Pennsylvania has a fairly bright Tuscan Red in the 30s, and that several roads used Pullman Green, but were there any 1st Class Roads whose cars carried other colour schemes in the 30s?
  4. oldstuff

Who ran these diesels in 1939/40?

I'm trying, without much success, to find out who was running EMD SW1 and EMD NW2 shifters in 1939/1940. I have the feeling that the EJ&E had NW2s 403-407, but can't find any proof online. I'm particularly interested in any lines operating into and round Chicago.
  5. oldstuff

Fitting DCC in an old Athearn diesel?

I have an Athearn EMD SW7. Looks like one of the motor contacts routes through the chassis. Any hints on fitting a decoder? Initial thoughts are just to insulate the lower motor contacts, which are metal strips, underneath the motor from the chassis. The upper ones (the white wires) would just...
  6. oldstuff

Chicago c1937

I'm a UK modeller in the UK, but also working on Chicago c1937 in HO. My stuff is Pennsylvania, Illinois Central, and Erie, which makes little sense so I've invented the fictional jointly operated Elmore, Joliet and Calumet Junction to run them on. The old EJ&CJ also runs prehistoric locos, so...

Back