Search results

1. twforeman

Not dead yet, but we moved again...

I know I dropped off the face of the earth a bit ago after posting that we were moving. And move we did. I even built out a room in the basement of the new house to put a layout in. But then we decided that the house was just not quite big enough and that it was a little far out from the big...
  2. twforeman

Hand laid turnouts or store bought - a discussion

I'm moving house and will be building a new layout. I have the space and a general plan. Obviously I will need some turnouts. On my last layout I hand built the turnouts. I did enjoy doing so, but I wasn't careful enough with my gauging and the turnouts did not work very well. I have a good...
  3. twforeman

Won a couple of Sunset Models GN class O-8 locomotives in the GNRHS auction!

These are a pair of nice looking models (if you ignore the cosmetic foam damage.) The O-8 class has long been on my wish list and I got a screaming deal on them in the auction. One has an open cab, and one has a closed cab. Getting them running and painted will be a major project, and...
  4. twforeman

There's a prototype for everything - using an old grain car to load trucks

Found this on the internet. Might be an interesting addition to a grain elevator scene.
  5. twforeman

Moving! Good news and bad news...

We just had an offer accepted on a new house. The good news is that there is lots of basement for a much larger layout. The bad news is that we have to move. Which means tearing down the current layout. I'm actually okay with tearing it down. I'll save all the buildings and bridges and try...
  6. twforeman

Monthly Picture Thread - June 2021

Posting a little early since I won't be around tomorrow much. This is a little past my era, but I have a few mid-late 1960s cars, mostly because I like the Big Sky Blue color and newer Rocky logo.
  7. twforeman

Monthly Picture Thread - May 2021

Guess I'm a day late and a dollar short. Have a picture of GN GP7 #665 pulling a local through Blackwing, MT.
  8. twforeman

Monthly Picture Thread - April 2021

Time for a new monthly thread! I'm going to have to take some photos I guess. Post them if you've got them!
  9. twforeman

Tichy 120 Ton Wrecking Crane and Boom Tender

If you read the RPO thread you saw that I picked up these kits. I started building the crane yesterday. It's a lot of parts, but if you take your time it should be a nice model. I'm taking in-process photos I'll post here (and on my blog) as I go. This is what it's supposed to end up looking...
  10. twforeman

Monthy Picture Thread - March 2021

I'm going to start something new here. Every month I will start a new thread for people to post photos in that they would like to share. The photos can be anything you like, a new piece of equipment, a car you just finished building or weathering, a small scene on your layout. They just have to...
  11. twforeman

How would people feel about a weekly or monthly thread for photos?

Just a thread where you can drop a photo of something on your layout without starting a whole new thread for one photo. I was thinking we could put it in the Showing Off section. I'd be happy to start a new thread every week/month. Thoughts?
  12. twforeman

Boxwell Caskets

I picked up a kit from Right on Track Models to build Boxwell Casket Company and the other day I decided it was time to start building it. This will be a build thread, updated when I remember to take pictures. :) Here is the first one - I added some stiffeners to the long walls and then glued...
  13. twforeman

Great Northern Sand Tower

The Great Northern had a very distinctive sand tower design. It was mostly made of 3/8" 3" x 3" angle iron and a lot of straps. As far as I know, there only exists a limited brass run of these towers because the parts are so small. Luckily for me, the Great Northern Railway Historical...
  14. twforeman

3D Resin Printer

I picked up a Phrozen Sonic Mini 4k for Christmas and finally managed to get some resin today to start experimenting with it. Silly me, I thought that it would come with a bottle of resin. Oh well, there's a MicroCenter in town and they have 3D printing supplies. I also picked up a wash and...
  15. twforeman

A few more freight cars

As I baby sit the laser cutter (can't really leave it run alone, there's a good risk of fire,) I've been building more freight cars. Mostly I buy cars that I think look interesting. Cars that catch my eye with slogans or logos. Anyway, these are the latest three. An Accurail Milwaukee Road...
  16. twforeman

Judging Interest - Illinois Central Depot at Fort Dodge, IA - Laser Kit

After posting my first laser kit around I had someone reach out to me asking if I could make a kit for the depot in Fort Dodge, IA. This is a massive depot. The HO scale model would be more than 60" long. It would be a challenge to make this kit and there would have to be a bunch of 3D printed...
  17. twforeman

Something New is Coming

I finally decided to sit down and draw the building I've been wanting to make with my laser cutter. It's a cinder block building that is a feed dealer based off this MRR article. I really only need about 2" of it because it sits against the backdrop, but I decided to make the whole building and...
  18. twforeman

An Old-School Craftsman Kit

I started building this old kit that I have. I think my mother-in-law gave it to me in the early 90's. It's for a 1930's gas station. Since I'm modeling 1958 I bought some new gas pumps to update it a little bit, but the rest of the building should be about the same. It's an Evergreen Hill...
  19. twforeman

Fisher Stove & Range Co.

This is actually the Right On Track Models kit of Empire Stove and Range, but I didn't like the signs they provided and I wanted to change the name. Here is a photo of the sign I came up with. I haven't permanently attached it yet and I need to decide whether it's going to be a decal or whether...
  20. twforeman

A couple of Seaboard box cars

You probably saw these in the RPO thread, but I put them together last week. They are not super-detailed so assembly was quick. The first is an Accurail kit of a 40′ box car. Seaboard #23164. The second kit is an Athearn kit for 50′ double door box car #9148. Unfortunately this kit came with...

Back