Search results

1. R

Latest loco on my rails

I got this Kato Dash 9, from the local train fair,a couple of weeks ago.It makes a nice pairing with my Athearn SD70. Ron
  2. R

My newest acquisition

I went to the local football stadium today, for the train and toy fair that was being held there.As usual, it was very busy, with plenty of railway models for sale. However, very few US railroad items were to be seen. I did manage to find an Athearn SD70, in EMD demonstrator colours. It looks to...
  3. R

Newest additions

I came back from three weeks in Pennsylvania on Sunday, and brought back with me, several new locos for my layout. All were bought from Dicks train store in Altoona, which is located within a couple of hundred yards from the NS shops. First off, I bought a pair of Athearn SD70M-2,s, I went...
  4. R

Up 3974

My latest acquisition to my railroad, bought this afternoon, is an Athearn Genesis SD70M which I got from the dealer that I,ve been buying locos from for some time. It came complete, except for the windscreen wipers, which I,ll fit later. Ron
  5. R

Russian model city

I found this site today, of a model Russian city, not too much focus on the railroad scenes, but still worth a look. Ron http://englishrussia.com/2012/11/28/russia-in-miniature-2/#more-114703
  6. R

Unstoppable

Unstoppable is on tv this evening. I,ve not seen it yet, is it worth watching? Ron
  7. R

Canadian Tourist

I went to the local train fair today,and got myself another loco. A Canadian Pacific AC4400CW.,made by Kato.Its the first loco I have, made by this company,and I,ve been impressed by how well it runs. Very quiet,very smooth,and pulls well from very low speeds.The only problem I,ve found, is the...
  8. R

Fresh from the paintshop

I finished my Bachmann Spectrum Dash 8-40CW this week. I got it from a train show this summer,undecorated, but did,nt get decals for it until I went to Pennsylvania in August. I chose to paint and number it for a Dash 8 I,d seen running through Altoona in 2011. The decals are Microscale...
  9. R

Latest locos for my fleet

I went to the local model and toy fair yesterday, and managed to get another couple of locos. An Athearn Genesis Alaska Railroad SD 70 MAC, and an Athearn blue box UP AC4400. I also got a pack of 5 Athearn Genesis UP coal hoppers. Everything was new in the box.Prices were ok as far as UK...
  10. R

New locos for my stable.

I got back from three weeks in Pennsylvania last Sunday,but have,nt been able to post photos until now, as I,ve had to get a new computer tower.Anyway I went to Dicks Train Store in Altoona several times, as I had a shopping list of parts and couplers I needed for my layout. I got three locos...
  11. R

My first Atlas loco

I went to a local train fair today, as usual, most of what was on sale, was British outline but I did find an Atlas loco,in Conrail colours,for a reasonable price, £25 ($40). The box was pretty shopworn, but the locomotive looked in very good condition.A tag on the polystyrene packaging, said it...
  12. R

More rolling stock

I went to a local toy and train fair today, mainly to get some more Woodland Senics foam roadbed. I did,nt see any ,so instead I got a pair of Walthers gondolas, plus a centre beam car, which I think is also a Walthers car. I got all three cars for £18 or about $27. The beam car was missing a...
  13. R

Hopper Cars

During my last visit to Pennsylvania,I bought four Bachmann hopper cars from a store in Altoona.The colours did,nt look too realistic, so I decided to respray them. I chose a set of Montana Rail Link decals from Microscale, which I bought from Tommy Gilberts store in Gettysburg. I changed the...
  14. R

Athearn Sd70m

I bought two more locomotives from Dicks train store in Altoona last week,a pair of Athearn Genesis SD70M,s. They are not brand new but I don,t think they,ve seen much use at all.They cost $85 each. Ron
  15. R

Thrall Auto Carrier

I bought a Walthers Thrall Auto Carrier last month, as soon as I ran it on my layout, I had clearance problems,with height, and trackside obstacles, I,ve managed to fix these. However I was wondering, are these the best cars to find clearance faults, or are there other cars that cause more...
  16. R

Black monster

One of the reasons why, I chose to model Norfolk Southern, is that their locos just look so good in black. This is an SD70-M2 I saw at the Cresson depot a couple of weeks ago. Its a place where you get a better feel for how long the trains are, that these locos pull. Ron
  17. R

Spotted at the Curve,

I managed to get a few trips to the Horseshoe Curve during my trip to PA to see my girlfriend, on one visit I saw the Norfolk Southern Research train. Pulled by a GP38 and an SD40-2. Ron
  18. R

My latest additions.

As I was able to visit Pennsylvania again, I wanted to get a model of the Norfolk Southern F units. I managed to get an A-B set from Dicks train store in Altoona,which is from their ready to run range.However he could,nt get another pair, so I got a Cotton Belt A-B set, which I,m going to...
  19. R

Bachman Spectrum speed problem.

I have a pair of Bachman Spectrum Dash 8 diesels, which I have a problem with. I bought them separately from eBay some time ago, intending to repaint them into Norfolk Southern locos, however as they are numbered 8611, and 8612, I decided to leave them in Chicago and North Western paint. The...
  20. R

Black Ties

I,m a member of a historic photo website, Shorpy,s. Which has a vast selection of photos from the Civil War era, up to the 1960,s. I was browsing through the other day, and found something that might be useful to someone here, a plant for treating railroad...

Back