Search results

1. Patrick

AHM GE 35 Locomotive

As I said in the Nov. 22 Coffee Shop, I needed a project to do while the glue was drying on some ballasting I was doing. So I pulled this out of a drawer: It was in a box of stuff I got in an auction lot. While I have the plastic fill and an AHM box, it isn't the locos box. Unit was non...
  2. Patrick

First Craftsman kit.....

Ok, after sticking the fire station in first, I decided to get the interlocking tower actually out of the box: I glued the initial sidewall corner pieces in place: (Who sees my mistake?) Cleaned the flashing off the metal windows and doors and painted: The kit was old enough for the card...
  3. Patrick

Fire station or We can't burn the house down!

Well, As I posted the first picture in the coffee shop (June 2020), I'll still repost it here: I changed my mind to start on the more delicate kit and started with something a bit easier. in the early 1990's I exchanged all my Lionel stuff for new HO stuff. This is one of the 3-4 building I...
  4. Patrick

DC 2nd Control station question

For those on DC, it's been too long since I've dealt with basic DC electronics, and I think I have it figured out, but... I currently have on one DC control station hooked up, and the 2nd one is nearly ready. Does it matter that the 2 Control stations are reverse polarity of each other? The...
  5. Patrick

DC controller questions

I'm trying to think a little ahead (and that's dangerous) would I be better with a single dual track controller or a couple single controllers? I am going to need a new controller or pair of them at some point and trying to think which would be easiest to wire. My old electronics days tell me...
  6. Patrick

A tease....

A tease until I get more time...
  7. Patrick

DC Question

From those of you still running DC, how did you place your control setup? I'm considering a drawer type setup where I can get it out of the way when I need to. It may also be that my original setup (now with the grandson's table) was just too wide. Any ideas someone else may have would be helpful.
  8. Patrick

Online auctions and brands to watch out for

As the title says: What are the better brands of train cars\engines\etc.? What should I look for or avoid? I am casing a few auction sites and think some things are more overpriced than they should be and others may be going pretty cheap. $3.00 each shipped for blue box models I know isn't...
  9. Patrick

Mantua Locomotive

I have a 0-6-0 GN switch engine and tender I purchased new a long time ago. I need to get it running again. It seems to run fine in reverse, but not so good running forward. It sat in the box for 15-18 years before I started running it and then another 6 years back in the packaging. I know I...
  10. Patrick

Boxcars

Are there any box cars left on modern rail? Living by a mainline BNSF, I see several trains a day, but can't remember when I last saw a boxcar. I see container cars, piggy backs, tank cars, grain cars and coal bins, with the occasional car haulers and flatbeds, but no box cars. Have they gone...
  11. Patrick

My Layout ...

Here's my start. It was drawn on a 1/2" = 1 foot scale. The link point between the 2 loops are 4 Atlas switches (not the quick turn ones) with about a 16" piece of Flex Track on the outer loop. Along the walkway, I have a rise on the outer loop leading to a lift bridge. The dots in between...
  12. Patrick

Hello

Greetings, I think I was a member here a few years back, but lost all my information. I am restarting my layout after a 4 year hiatus during which my train platform has been up with a temporary track laid so the grandson could run his h.o. Thomas. I am loosely modeling the Great Northern...

Back