Search results

1. Brakeman Hal

Between my HO and my O-Scale 2-Rail Layouts, my Slot Car Race Course sure was fun!

We had some real competition on this course, and it was fun to run solo too! (The course also ran 15 feet off to the right.) The cars were 1/32 scale. Redline Hal
  2. Brakeman Hal

Bachman HO Steam Locomotives

Are the latest generation of Bachman HO steam locos now as detailed and realistic in operation as the Atlas, and MTH? I have the 2021 Bachman catalog and there are some models that have DCC and 16-bit Sound. Do any of you have the newer Bachman HO steamers? Thanks, Brakeman Hal
  3. Brakeman Hal

non-switching ho layout for small room

Giving up my 130 foot dogbone 0-scale layout and moving to smaller quarters where I'll want a dogbone HO layout. No switching, just a single uninterrupted track. Brakeman Hal
  4. Brakeman Hal

Minimum HO Curve Radius

What is the minimum HO curve radius that will reliably handle a 2-8-2 Mikado and a 2-8-0 Consolidation? I can't afford the space for large curves in an apartment bedroom. Thanks, Brakeman Hal
  5. Brakeman Hal

Forsaking Railroad

I'll be moving from a 2800 sq. ft. home to a 975 sq. ft. apartment soon, and because of rheumatoid arthritis, I don't have the strength to dismantle my 130-foot O-Scale 2 Rail layout which is bolted to the framework of the building, so I'll just let it go with the house when I sell it. At age...
  6. Brakeman Hal

DISGUSTED WITH EBAY

Every notice I get from ebay saying they have an O-Scale 2-Rail steam loco turns out to be an O-Scale 3-Rail from the MTH model number or a picture of the underside of the loco showing the center rail pickup rollers. The Dash-1 at the end of the MTH model number indicates 3-Rail, and a Dash-2...
  7. Brakeman Hal

Has Atlas Acquired all of MTH Tooling Since they Stopped Production?

I'm looking for an O-Scale 2-Rail Steam Loco with DCC and Sound, preferably a 2-8-0 Consolidation or a 2-6-0 Mogul with Western road names, like SF, UP, or SP. Is Atlas in production again with former MTH engines? Thanks, Brakeman Hal
  8. Brakeman Hal

Will I Be Forced Into 3-Rail?

With my choice in O-Scale 2-Rail locomotives drying up, I might have to consider 3-Rail, but only if flex track were available, because I have large curves, up to 50", which is 100" diameter. I see that 3-Rail O-Scale (gauge) engines and rolling stock have just as much detail and realism as my...
  9. Brakeman Hal

Contacting Ebay Sellers

I recently got an Ebay Account, and have been getting Emails about available O-Scale 2-Rail Steam Locos I've been interested in, and I appreciate that, except I need to get more information from the Seller, because I have a DCC Controller with Sound Functions, and would like to know if the Ebay...
  10. Brakeman Hal

Historic Railroad Songs

Everybody's favorite is probably "Wreck of the Old 97", based on the true story of Southern Railway's mail train #97, pulled by a new 4-6-0 engine, with engineer Steve Broady at the throttle, on September 27, 1903 outside of Danville, Virginia. The words tell the story of an engineer who had to...
  11. Brakeman Hal

What Other Brands Have DCC and Sound in their O-Scale 2-Rail 2-8-0 Engines?

Since MTH is closing its doors in June, 2021 and has no inventory in stock any where I've called so far, I'm wondering if other makers can supply what I need in a Consolidation in 2-Rail O Scale with DCC and Sound? Hal
  12. Brakeman Hal

MTH 0-Scale 2-Rail 2-8-0 Consolidations.

Hello, Trainmen! :) An MTH company employee directed me to a website called MTH Product Locator, and I found that their 2-8-0-Consolidation locomotives were available in 18 different models, with different Road Names, Curve Radii, Valve Types, and with DCC and Sound. Ten of these models have...
  13. Brakeman Hal

Will this O-Scale 2-Rail Layout Handle 2-8-0 and 2-8-2 Steamers?

My radii are 42" minimum and 45" and 50" on the corners. I run 4-axle diesels and a 4-6-2 Pacific with no problems, but I'd like to run a 2-8-2 Mikado or a 2-8-0 Consolidation. Thanks, Hal
  14. Brakeman Hal

EBAY NEWBIE LOSES LOCO

Yesterday I began to scan EBAY's long list of O-Scale 2-Rail locomotives, and this is the only place that has dozens for sale, mostly Brass. I quickly found an engine that had everything I wanted, including a Western road name: Union Pacific. I made a note of where I found it, and went on for...
  15. Brakeman Hal

Will My Curves Support Engines With 8 Drivers?

Hello, I have a large 127.5-foot O-Scale 2-Rail folded dogbone layout with loops of 42" and 45" radius, and 90 degree turns of 45" and 50" radius. These are equivalent to 7' and 8' diameter circles. My 4-6-2 Pacific and my GP-35 Diesels have no problem on these curves, and will take them at a...
  16. Brakeman Hal

Stiff-Swiveling Front Truck Causes Derailing

My O-Scale 2-Rail GP-35 Diesel runs fine all around my 130-foot folded dogbone, except for one point, where there is a transition from a curve to a straight, and this is where the front truck derails. My other engines and my rolling stock have no problem at this point, and this is because their...
  17. Brakeman Hal

Siding Now Main Route

Was having trouble with train going through main route because engine would derail on the frog of the turnout leading to the siding. So I made the SIDING a portion of the main route, and blocked the turnout from entering the main route with a spike through the switching bar. So it still looks...
  18. Brakeman Hal

Where Are All The O-Scale 2-rail Steam Engines?

Gentlemen, before I die, I would like to go out with an O-Scale 2-Rail Steam Locomotive in my roster. (I have an MTH Pacific that doesn't run.) My Steam Heritage goes back to the early 1940s, when my Dad, a Pennsy Fireman, would take me to work with him when he had Yard Duty. I could never...
  19. Brakeman Hal

Considering Dismantling My Large Layout

Hello, After carefully building the heavy 2x4 benchwork for my 130-foot O-Scale 2-Rail Folded Dogbone layout and laying all that flex track and simulating the Mountain/Desert terrain where I live, I find that after 2 years, I'm the only one who appreciates it. Others who have visited my Train...
  20. Brakeman Hal

My Three Controllers

(No, this does not star Fred MacMurray)😄 On the left is my MTH controller, which is compatible with engines with DCS decoders, and also DC locos. Next is my Digitrax controller, which is compatible with engines with DCC decoders, and also DC locos. Last is my 45-year-old MRC controller, which...

Back