Search results

1. Olie

Decoder for Miller Engineering Signs

I have a Miller Engineering sign and am powering it from track power through a Converter module. I have been trying to figure out how to wire a decoder in to control turning the sign on and off. The lighting decoders I've found are for controlling individual LEDs, not act as a track power...
  2. Olie

My attempt at flowering trees

Here in Georgia, we have Mrytle trees that flower. Smell amazing. Anyway, I was making trees with the Supertrees I picked up the other day and thought, hmm, I wonder....... So, here is my attempt at flowering trees. Mind you, these are suppose to be N scale. They seem to show up better under...
  3. Olie

Train hopping from Seattle to LA

Wan't sure where to post this but I was surfing youtube for how-to videos when I came across this. It's over 2 hours long but some amazing footage of a train hopper riding from Seattle all the way down to LA. Some beautiful scenery and of course.....TRAINS!
  4. Olie

3 new buildings for the layout

First is the Grand Hotel. Still have to finish the roof and hang the curtains. The wife is working on some cool fabric type curtain/shades. Second is the Corner Turret Building. Not sure what this will be yet. Still needs windows installed and curtain/shades. Last is the Corner Apothecary...
  5. Olie

Anyone good with Arduino?

I have an Arduino Uno and some shields. I want to run a booster via Loconet. What I'm lacking is the hardware mock up. Can a Dual MC33926 motor driver shield be used? After looking at the Tam Valley Depot DCC booster (which seems to increase in price monthly), my guess is it shouldn't be all...
  6. Olie

Laura's Book Store (DPM kit)

So here is my latest building. Took a lot longer than I had hoped, I only have two week of vacation to get a bunch of stuff done. Laura (my wife) is a bookworm. She works at a library she loves books that much. So, naturally, a bookstore should be named after her. Problem is, she wanted custom...
  7. Olie

Carl's Cabin by RS Laser Kits

1 of the 5 buildings I bought to go on the layout. I really like working with wood but man, these N scale structures are small! Anyway, here's the pics I promised Wombat (Tony).
  8. Olie

Talcum Powder for weathering

I have read a couple of article, albeit older one, that talk about using talcum powder for weathering. I mixed up a 50/50 mix of baby powder with the black chalk line powder I had to make a grey. Seems like it would do the trick. I'm wondering how well it will stick and if it has issues if a...
  9. Olie

How do you make your pedestrian grade crossings?

I have done some practicing and searching on how to make a pedestrian grade crossing. Like this one: The way I'm leaning is using joint compound to fill in the space then carve out the inside rail edges. I'm wondering how you all do yours?
  10. Olie

Need long N Scale Engine shed

I'm looking for a steam era 2 or 3 stall engine shed that will fit the FEF-3 and similar locos. Everything I find in kit form only goes out to 7 1/2" inches or so. This loco with tender is over 8 1/2" (215mm) long. Anyone know of a good quality kit that is long enough to house this beast?
  11. Olie

Dewalt chalk line chalk

I just finished the CVMW 1820 bridge and was looking to paint and then weather. it. I needed to pick up some vent hose for the paint booth when I find Dewalt chalk. In red, black and orange. $1.39 for 8 oz bottle. Hell, why not. The red is a good color for rust, obviously the black is black but...
  12. Olie

Damn you N scalers!

I really do like my HO Scale steam era trains...........but.............the UP Excursion set?!?! Got me! Even in N scale, this is a long train The Kato FEF-3 will be here Monday. Already have the decoder chip and I'm going to to the complete LED upgrade to it while I'm in there. The...
  13. Olie

Covered Bridge for ceiling track (Pic heavy)

I've been trying to decide how to add some scenery to the ceiling track. I've had several ideas for a bridge but due to the fact that I have two tracks and one is elevated, kit builds are really not in the mix. So, scratch build. After looking on-line at way too many bridges, I finally saw one I...
  14. Olie

Arduino rolling road static display

My wife works at the local library and April is her month for displays. She asked me if I could build a static display that is actuated by a button making the train go forward but without actually moving. So, I started making a list. First purchase was the Proses rolling road (I'll only be using...
  15. Olie

Who uses No-Ox

I've read and seen the use of No-Ox-Id "A Special" electrical contact paste on model railroads. I have two jars of it and have used it for other applications. I'm wondering who on here uses it and what is your use/application method? I have a ceiling track that is overhead and requires a ladder...
  16. Olie

PRR Post Office Version versus Diner Version trucks

Maybe this has been answered before but I was unable to find it when searching. I am going to replace the trucks on my Bachmann Spectrum PRR cars. Three of them have the 6 wheel trucks. Walthers seems to be the only one that carries the 3D-P1 trucks but they come in two different versions, Post...
  17. Olie

Ceiling double track

Hey all. New guy here and wanted to share my latest adventure. I caught the MRR bug and man it's bad. I wanted something a bit different so I opted to do a wall mounted "ceiling track" that covers my living room. This is HO scale. Here's my starting point with Scarm I ran into a few hurdles...
  18. Olie

Ceiling double track

Double post. Please delete
  19. Olie

Where have I been all this time?

Hello all. I've just recently discovered the amazing world of model railroading. I mean truly discovered. For years I had seen layouts and trains. My grandparents had an old set around the Christmas tree. Never really paid too much attention until this past Christmas. I'm active duty military...

Back