Search results

1. M

Designing Layout #6 - I had an epiphany

I learned a lot with this one, but I am bored with it. I have to admit that I did a poor job designing it for operation. Being honest with myself I built a 12' operating diorama, to display all my structures. That is the epiphany I had.....this is why I get bored so fast. I finish building...
  2. M

Smaller engines

Since we're discussing the "why are they", I'm just going to continue my Boomer "yelling at the clouds" rant... 😁 Why are companies like BLI, Scale Trains, etc producing these giant locomotives that need a minimum 22" radius? How many of us have a basement or a FULL room for a layout? How...
  3. M

I made it to the big time

I received an email, from Bar Mills, that they posted a picture I sent them months ago, to their FB page. I had my 15 minutes of fame.🤣
  4. M

Train Show/Swap Meet March 2 in Portland, OR

The last 2-3 times I have been to this one I have not left empty handed. 9:30am-3pm Kliever Armory 10000 NE 33rd Dr Portland, OR 97211
  5. M

Found another critter

I was going through some boxes and found this On30 critter I built 40+ years ago. I used an old AHM MDT for the donor, but unfortunately it did not run when I put it on a track.
  6. M

Got bored, started doodling a new layout

I've finished the current version of my fairly long (12') switching layout. The width starts at one end at 1' and finishes at the far end at 3'. I've torn it down and rebuilt, on the same real estate, almost every 2 years. I am at the point where I would really like to have some type of a...
  7. M

anyone build a drop leaf section?

I've pretty much finished my current layout and am thinking about starting over. i want to incorporate some type of continuous loop in the new design. Space is restricted because I share my office with my wife. I currently have a length of 12' that is broken down into 3 sections. 1'x3'...
  8. M

Need some opinions-UPDATED

I'm pretty much done with old projects, so I'm considering changing something on the current HO layout. It's currently a hypothetical branch line that terminates at the cement plant. There is a switch for another branch line, to a mine, just before the ink factory. The current setup makes for...
  9. M

Finally got around to building the critter

I've had this On30 project sitting in the closet for about 7-8 years. I was caught up on all the other miscellaneous projects so I dug out all the Kemtron, Cal Scale, donor Bachmann 44 Tonner power unit, and Shapeways parts. It took about an hour to fit and assemble everything. The only issue...
  10. M

Let's give kudos to GREAT customer service

In the last 6 months I have had 2 noteworthy experiences of GREAT customer service, from some our suppliers & manufacturers. I want to give kudos where due. 1. I purchased a new Atlas engine and had to send it in for a DCC issue after about an hour of run time. I received the RMA the same...
  11. M

Down the HOn30 rabbit hole...again

I guess this is the definition of insanity. 😁 Just finished a box car, but for waiting on the brake wheels to arrive. Engine and box car in front of a Standard gauge 40' box car.
  12. M

What type of trucks did 55 ton USRA hoppers (Eastearn railways post WW2) use?

Bettendorf or Vulcan? I having a brain fart/senior moment and can't remember. 😁 Thanks
  13. M

Kudos to Atlas

I had an Atlas DCC engine lock up that was under warranty. I tried all the usual stuff and it wouldn't respond. I sent it back last week, they received it Monday (a holiday), and I received a phone call this morning that it was fixed and on it's way back. That is customer service!👍 One item...
  14. M

Too frustrated with DC HOn30, tore it down, rebuilding in DCC Standard gauge

My foray into the narrow gauge of my youth is over.😁 I may build a simple loop display layout some day or just sell off the stuff. I did learn a few things....... 1. It was fun building the engines and cars, but the track is too tiny. No way I would get into N scale. 2. Peco narrow gauge...
  15. M

Trestle bent spacing?

Is there a standard for bent spacing? I'm building a small (6") trestle and am trying to figure out if I need 2 or 4 bents. Thanks
  16. M

What size wheels on Micro Trains 1010

Are the wheels 33" on the arch bar trucks? I'm sure they are, but just want to confirm. It doesn't say on their website. Thanks
  17. M

Going back to the narrow gauge of my youth - 2/7 Layout started

I remember how fascinated I was when the April 1970 MRC featured the Frary & Hayden Elk River Line. I was still in my early teens and I was hooked, but never really built anything because I was broke. When the magazine featured the C&DR line (1977?) and showed how they converted the Minitrix FM...
  18. M

Boxcar Red substitute

What's a fairly close sub for the old Floquil Boxcar Red? Preferably a brush on enamel. I have found a great sub for Floquil Weathered Black by using Tamiya Dark Panzer Grey.
  19. M

What size brass wire for air hose

I'm building a narrow gauge critter and mounted an air tank on the hood. I want to attach some pipe to both ends and into the hood. What diameter brass wire would be close to scale? Also, would it be normal to have pipes coming out of both ends of the tank? Thanks
  20. M

Applying dirt

What is the most effective method for securing dirt. Matte medium or paint first, then dirt, or dirt, then spray matte medium? Thanks

Back