Search results

1. gjohnston

Help Me Plan My Layout

Thanks for all of the great input. Lots pf ideas for future additions and or modifications!
  2. gjohnston

Help Me Plan My Layout

Looking forward to getting Train Controller set up to automate the trains on the layout. I have been playing with the program in the simulator mode. Oh, and I started a snow shed. It will probably be expanded.
  3. gjohnston

Help Me Plan My Layout

Did some work on my staging area with building flats, added a third track, and started work on a small farm. Also getting my blocks and occupancy detectors set up and installed.
  4. gjohnston

Help Me Plan My Layout

Time for another update. Expanded the turntable yard with more tracks. Added a couple of industries
  5. gjohnston

Town and country - automated N-scale layout

Thank you so much. This will be very helpful. :)
  6. gjohnston

Town and country - automated N-scale layout

I just read your post concerning the DCC Specialties Jack AD Sensor board. I just ordered one to report block occupancy on my reverse loops from the two PSX-ARs. You said your sensor boards came with no manual or documentation. How did you figure out how to program them? I am hoping mine...
  7. gjohnston

Traincontroller 10 Gold Video Series

Awesome Rudy. I jumped on your Train Controller videos from 7 years ago on YouTube and was using them to help me figure out how to use Train Controller. The interface is slightly different from the new version, but close enough to be able to figure it out. You do a super job on your videos...
  8. gjohnston

Reverse Loop Occupancy Detection Options

After much internet research and bumbling along I stumbled into an answer to my question regarding if the PSX- AR can be used not only as an auto reverser, but as a block detection device as well. The answer is yes! As long as I add what DCC Specialties calls a "discrete interface ". This...
  9. gjohnston

Reverse Loop Occupancy Detection Options

I am looking for a good block occupancy detection option for the two reverse loops on my layout. My control station is a Z21 and I am running one Z21 10819 block detector unit that can detect 16 blocks or sections of track. My reverse loops are controlled by two PSX-ARs, which I like very much...
  10. gjohnston

A new beginning inspired from my old Central Midland Layout

Your Drive In is awesome!
  11. gjohnston

Thanks. I will check out the videos.
  12. gjohnston

Awesome. What is your process for making your rock formations. I have completely avoided any rock work on my layout. But would like to have some rock faces on some horizontal surfaces protruding from my hills and mountains.
  13. gjohnston

I love the detail in your layout. You have so many components, and a ton of room. Your rock work is awesome.
  14. gjohnston

Help Me Plan My Layout

Layout Update: Working on my little town. Need another building, some automobiles, people, park and picnic details. But it is coming along. Also replaced the bridge over the yard with a better structure. Added some trees, and turf too.
  15. gjohnston

DCC Platform Selection for HO Layout Conversion

I have a Z21 (the black non starter system). I use my iphone and ipad as throttles and to control the locomotive sound and light features. I can throw the switches with them too. This system meets all of the requirements you list. I don't have experience with other systems, but do like the Z21.
  16. gjohnston

Amtrak, day one after the government subsidies end.

If it ain't broke...... don't fix it.
  17. gjohnston

Have you actually ridden a narrow Gauge train?

I want one of those Ford Vans.
  18. gjohnston

They still have one going strong in San Diego at Balboa Park. I remembered it from a visit a few years back. It is a Model 16-G. The website says there are fewer than fifty such trains remaining. https://www.balboapark.org/attractions/miniature-train
  19. gjohnston

Sadly no. It has been gone for many years now. It closed in 1977. https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=19990509&slug=2959509#:~:text=It%20used%20to%20be%20the,the%20other%20rides%20in%201977.
  20. gjohnston

How to run a Roco Fleischmann H0 73330 Electric Locomotive 143 579 DB AG (DCC Ready) on a Z-21 stater set.

Here is a link to your loco on the Roco website. Here is a link to the manual. According to the manual your loco takes either a 16 pin (10880/ 10882) or 22 pin 10881/10883) decoder. It looks like the decoder just plugs into the drivers compartment of the loco. You will need to check your loco...

Back