Search results

1. NYC_George

Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

One other thing about steam generators is the relays would trip and wouldn't reset. Resulting in no steam. If an engine's generator was having issues the engine house foreman would give you a couple wooden wedges and tell you if one or both of the relays drop out. Block them in with the wedges...
  2. NYC_George

Curt if the subfloor moves or cracks it's not transferred up to the tile. There's a heated version I wish I would have installed in the new bathroom. It's lies over a nonheated part of the foundation and cold in the winter months. Swal
  3. NYC_George

Chad I used Durawall cement board and Schluter Ditra for the new tile under the kitchen Cabinets and the whole new bathroom which I don't have a picture for. The already in place kitchen tile is just on Durawall cerement board and has been there for 25 years without any problems. Swal
  4. NYC_George

Willie they were using NYC Lightning units for that run up until around 1970 and completely stopped the passenger service around 1972 An E8 EMD loco had 2 separate steam generators and 2 separate water tanks. They produced enough steam for a 20 hour trip. The 20th Century Limited also used steam...
  5. NYC_George

Talking about steam generators. A EMD engine's water tank holds enough water to create 5 hours of steam. The trip from Grand Central Station to Chatham NY was about 5 hours. 2 engines = 10 hours of steam heat. We have 2 engines with one of the steam generators not working. The Brewster NY...
  6. NYC_George

Troy how did you get this tinnitus? I have some form of it playing Jimi Hendrix music back in the late 60's and walking by a running full throttle EMD diesels while I tried to get the steam heat generator going in my RR days. 5 commutation whistles in the cab was the code to start the steam...
  7. NYC_George

Chad I see you didn't use any tile decoupler membrane Swal .
  8. NYC_George

Yes Karl the Penn Central, Harlem & Hudson divisions. I was there 13 years and went back to the construction of high raises building. Where I retired from Local 235 in White Plains, NY 13 years ago. I still receive a railroad pension because I was there more than 10 years.
  9. NYC_George

That's interesting Karl because one day I was following another train, and the singles were not displaying the right aspect. The singles were green (clear) and the train ahead of me was not tripping the signals. When I approached Woodlawn interlocking there was a single truck there and they had...
  10. NYC_George

Curt you mean the video that shows the freight before the crash? He's going track speed and just runs into the end of another train. What's going on with that? When the freight I was working got rear ended it was because the engineer of the passenger train thought the single was...
  11. NYC_George

I found the video of the CSX freight train just before the crash. You can hear the air being dumped and a few seconds later the crash. Swal
  12. NYC_George

Karl I have to know what time we're playing so I can work in a visit to see my wife. It depends on who's available to play at what time. Swal
  13. NYC_George

Karl there is no hump day when you're retired. Sitting here waiting for the call on what time we're teeing off. Swal
  14. NYC_George

There's a video of the Georgia CSX freight that ran into the end of another CSX freight at the time of the crash. The train was moving at track speed, and you hear the brakes being dumped and then the crash. I watched it last night on TV and can't seem to find it on YouTube. The signal system...
  15. NYC_George

Willie if you watched the video, they say some plants lose their health benefits as they grow. Sulforaphane being the main compound they lose in example, Broccoli. Swal
  16. NYC_George

Willie I read the best plants for you are baby plants. Swal
  17. NYC_George

I'm not sure how this happened. They report that a CSX freight train ran into the back of another CSX freight. Someone's in trouble. The freight that did the ramming had to be on an approach signal or was running on train orders. In any case When you see an approach signal ahead you get your...
  18. NYC_George

So my PSA level was 13 the last time I visited my urologist, and he wanted a biopsy. I had about 20 large needles stuck in me today, and it was not fun. It lasted about 30 minutes. I chose not to take anything for pain so I could drive myself home. I started counting down from 1000 to take my...
  19. NYC_George

Willie I figured out that tax question I was asking you about. Thanks. Swal

Back