Search results

1. K

Need people to test drive new realistic train control software!

Hey guys, I am working on a software to improve the realism of model railroading by giving the models prototypical controls/handling. A lot like ESU's Full Throttle feature, except way more realistic. Everything is included, even the way the Westinghouse brake system works. It should be...
  2. K

Parking lot design help?

I have a space behind the small engine shop in my yard that I would like to put a paved parking lot. I already have some Woodland Scenics paving plaster and all the stuff to make it, but I am a little lost on the design. There's a track that runs around behind it that I cannot remove, so the...
  3. K

Realistic terrain with foam?

Hello all, I have a 5x9 layout based on Atlas's Great Eastern Trunk plan. Basically a double track mainline with a passing track on one curve and a yard I added at the bottom. So kind of a lot of track. I built the layout on insulation foam, and it's time for me to start doing scenery. I've...
  4. K

Making a programming booster?

After extensive problems programming my TCS decoder (problems I have not had with ESU, Digitrax, and even Bachmann...but that's another story) I talked with the TCS support and was told to buy a programming booster. I have a Digitrax Zephyr. I looked at buying a booster, but they're around $50...
  5. K

Atlas Turntable - Custom DCC Controller

Those of you who are familiar with the Atlas HO Turntable know it's pretty much impossible to find a ready-made solution to add DCC indexing capability. It doesn't support an easy way to add indexing like the more expensive Walthers turntables. But for me, an Atlas turntable was ideal because of...
  6. K

Scratchbuilding WT51 Water Tender

For those not familiar, the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum (in Chattanooga) has a handful of restored Southern Railway steam loccomotives, most notably #630 (2-8-0) and #4501 (2-8-2). When they do excursions with these engines, they generally use an external water tender, TVRM WT51. Below is...
  7. K

Dealing with trackwork imperfections/derailments? I am at a loss

Hello all, I have a 5'x9' HO scale layout that uses Atlas track. It is a modified version of the Great Eastern Trunk plan, with a railyard added along the front edge. I have a turnout that comes off of a curve on a hill (constant grade where the turnout is) that is giving me nothing but...
  8. K

Southern #4501 in HO - TCS WOW Steam

I got a Bachmann Mikado (#4501) for Christmas and finally today got DCC installed in it. I went for a TCS WOW Steam decoder with no keep-alive. I have been VERY pleased with the sound on this decoder; I think I will be going for TCS on my other steam locos! https://youtu.be/0ELodBZZAjQ That...
  9. K

Air pressure questions

I'm building a simulation application and I need to know some things about locomotive air equipment. What is the standard pressure for the main locomotive reservoir? I'll add more questions later as I get to them. Thanks guys! P.S. If you're interested in this software, it basically gives...
  10. K

Suggestions on the yard plan I've made?

I've got an HO scale 5x9 layout that's essentially a modified Atlas "Great Eastern Trunk" plan. In adjusting it a bit so it fits well on a 5'x9 table, I left myself about 1'x9' on the front of the table to build a yard. I drew up this plan in xTrkCad, and I'm pretty pleased with it, but I want...
  11. K

Weird question: What's up with high hood locos?

This is kind of weird and random, but seriously, what is the advantage of a high hood locomotive? I understand some locos only came in a high-hood config, but some came in both high and low hood. Why on earth would railroads buy high-hood locomotives when they could buy low-hood ones? I don't...
  12. K

Working on model control software - need some opinions and JavaScript devs!

Let me preface this by saying I'm not entirely sure where to post this, so feel free to let me know if I need to move to another subforum. I am working on a project to simulate prototypical controls for model trains. It is built to run in a browser, using only JavaScript/HTML/CSS (no...
  13. K

Cab lighting and LokSound in Athearn GP15-1

I got a DCC-ready GP15-1 from Athearn a while back. I installed LokSound in it, which went well, although next time I will definitely use the Select Direct decoder instead of the normal Select decoder with the 8 pin plug. I'm happy with the sound, and with the motor control especially, but since...
  14. K

Lighting shuts off when headlight is on with LokSound

Today I added cab lighting to my Athearn GP15-1. This locomotive doesn't have the normal Athearn-installed Tsunami decoder, it is equipped with LokSound Select instead. I wired the LED up to the "AUX2" function, and it works, but when I turn the forward-facing headlight on it turns the cab light...
  15. K

locoThrottleJS - prototypical model train throttle system

Hey guys, just wanted to show off a software I've been working on. If you've seen Bruce Kingsley's "Ultimate DCC Throttle" project, which has become famous over the last few months, you can think of my program as a tool to make similar experiences accessible to everyone. It's a web app built in...
  16. K

Designing control panel for mostly computerized HO 5x9

I'm in the process of planning my control panel for my HO 5x9. (I'm also a bit of a newbie here so excuse me if I break any rules :p) I have most of the electronics of the layout done already, including the track power wiring, turnouts controlled by Digitrax decoders, an Atlas turntable I "beat...
  17. K

Need some insight from people who have driven locomotives

I am trying to write a piece of software to make a model train controllable in the same way that a real diesel locomotive is. Obviously I can't emulate a real diesel engine, and a functional air brake system on 1:87 scale, and certainly not using only software. So I need some insight from people...
  18. K

Realistic operations with JMRI on a circular-ish layout

I've got a layout (in the process of being built; the track is laid and wired but turnouts aren't remote controlled just yet) on a 5x9 table (not any fancy custom benchwork, just flat plywood for the top) with a modified version of the famous Atlas "Great Eastern Trunk" track plan (I know, I...

Back