Search results

1. P

New Layout - need DCC help

When I went with digitrax I picked up the super chief 8 amp for the extra power options when used with a PM42. Especially with all the different main sections you have and the intention of having a reversed section a pm42 might be a good idea to break things up without piling up a stack of...
  2. P

Anyone know what out of the box headlight operation was for this athearn genesis F7?

The fried egg looking logo is the older nose logo they all had, I would would guess that some of the early repaints got the old logo instead of the later one since I have seen several pics from even the early 80's where they are still painted like that one is. I assume the old heavyweights were...
  3. P

Anyone know what out of the box headlight operation was for this athearn genesis F7?

Most of the lettered sets I have seen pictures of were broken up and scattered all over soon after being put in service due to repairs or units being needed elsewhere. I never figured out why they bothered to use the same number with the different letters if the sets were all going to get...
  4. P

Lets just drop the whole letter thing and start over, I didn't expect this to be so baffling a question. 1. So when the CNW F7A's were first built in 1949 they were for sure equipped with mars lights in the upper light port? 2. Was the upper light port red, white or bi color? Both the model...
  5. P

I am aware that 2 A units with a B unit sandwiched in between is referred to as an ABA. I am looking for for 4083C so it seemed fairly logical for me to call it the "C" unit since all three have the same number (see 2nd link if there is still confusion). Someone misunderstood and everyone else...
  6. P

I am referring to the unit number, that set is numbered 4083 A,B & C. The two pack is units A and B which I have so I want the C unit. Also from what I read and see in pictures and other athearn units, light operation differed by road name and era so I am looking for specifics on the color and...
  7. P

http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATHG1513 I got it with a digitrax board and a red LED upper and white LED lower. He had it set so the headlight is always on when the unit is running and the upper red light mars strobes all the time. I managed to bust the red LED apart...
  8. P

Correct mars light color and operation? (specifically early CNW F7)

I picked up a used Athearn Genesis F7 AB set in the earlier CNW colors (not the later mostly yellow scheme). The previous owner had added DCC and led headlights and its currently set up with a double light (cover making it look like an over under light) white LED on the lower light and the...
  9. P

Interesting gondola car load to model.

I personally had no idea that switches were built and moved like this. I had assumed they were put together on site but these are prefabbed sections of brand new switch track, one complete unit in each car with the pieces stacked on each other, probably for a run around track or an additional...
  10. Gondola car with switch track load. 1/3

Gondola car with switch track load. 1/3

Two gondola cars loaded with pre fabricated sections of new switch track.
  11. Gondola car with switch track load. 2/3

Gondola car with switch track load. 2/3

12. Gondola car with switch track load. 3/3

Gondola car with switch track load. 3/3

13. P

"Roundhouse" Hoppers

This is an example of a Athearn roundhouse product: http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=RND86549 After hunting all over (I was searching for Athearn instead of roundhouse brand and didn't know the part number for sure) I just ordered one for $22.49 from one of the few places that...
  14. P

Prototypical use of steam locomotives

Find vintage photos, I wanted to base my modeling on railroads that ran around where I live (mostly it turns out, CNW in western WI) in the 50's and all the reference books and websites were pretty well useless for specific information until I found a book that was basically just a picture book...
  15. P

Sticker Shock

I also did HO several decades ago, I wouldn't compare the low detail grindy motor crap from that era with the super detailed, high end motor, DCC with sound locomotives you are looking at. People who like to build and detail cars themselves still love the formerly cheap blue box rolling stock...
  16. P

HO Gauge or N Gauge? What do you have, and why?

I always assume that N was cheaper because the molded shells have the same detail as the cheaper HO stuff so its much simpler to make. The prices on the lower (mechanical) half of N scale locomotives have come way down over the years as popularity and technology has increased, so that no longer...
  17. P

Did Atlas ever fix the code 55 track availability issues?

I searched for threads on this first since I assumed it was a discussed topic but everything was almost a year old. I am looking to switch from HO to N and am rather irritated to find that code 55 still seems to be only half available everywhere with many things sold out including the rather...
  18. P

Maintenance for long time storage

Clean the track if you want for now, but if you are serious about getting into trains as a hobby again toss all the old track in the bin as I assume from its age that its sectional snap track brass (or worse the cheapie steel stuff) and replace it with the newer nickel silver for far less...
  19. P

LOKSOUND decoders

Look up the decoder full factory reset function and start there, when you get this far into the mud you need to back up and not mash the gas looking for a different line forward. The ticking is probably that air system bleed tick sound it can be set to make when the engine is stopped.
  20. P

HO Gauge or N Gauge? What do you have, and why?

OK you have me totally second guessing my scale choice yet again so I will answer this thread a second time to more specifically explain why I cant settle and maybe it will help you. One of the main issues with HO that I mentioned in my previous reply and can't find a solution for without...

Back