Search results

1. M

soldering station

Hakko FX888D. Just got mine and so far its amazing. Reviews are excellent long term. http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ANZRT4M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  2. M

Who here is under 50?

Space is definitely a thing. We only have one kid and have been lucky enough to be able to buy nice size (not huge, but not tiny) houses. We still need an extra room because I work out of the house and need a dedicated office space. When we were house hunting last summer I was a bit...
  3. M

Who here is under 50?

Sorry if it came across as something against "old farts", not what I meant. Definitely a different experience. I flew my first time when I was less than a year old and I couldn't even begin to count how many times since. I bet I could count train rides, excluding subways and other light...
  4. M

Who here is under 50?

Been to a couple train shows this past winter just getting started in the hobby and in my early 40's I figure I was one of the youngest there who wasn't with grandpa (meaning I pretty much saw people my parents age and older, and young kids.) Just wondering what that means for the hobby over...
  5. M

Ever fall asleep in class?

When I was in college a guy in a class before one of mine fell asleep in a large lecture hall. The prof for that fairly small class asked everyone to quietly leave at the end of class and posted people at each door asking us to quietly come in. The guy woke up a good 15-20 minutes into our...
  6. M

Built my first structure kit

I figured the realty company, like a couple around here, has been through so many mergers and acquisitions over the last few years that they have to keep putting up new signs! Seriously I did plan to weather it a just a little.
  7. M

Built my first structure kit

I found this unassembled, factory sealed Walthers United Trucking kit at an antique store for $5 and figured it would make a good first project. Pretty happy with how it came out. Since I plan to model modern times and this isn't really a trackside industry, I figured a building like this...
  8. M

Getting Started--how?

I finally got some time to set up a little junky sectional track, the Powercab, and try out my locomotives. The Bachman seems like it could use a little work, but man that Kato runs sweet and the sounds are really cool.
  9. M

What HO Code 83 Track?

I think I'm going to go with Peco due to the availability and more importantly half-the-price flex track. Sounds like the Shinohara and Peco are relatively interchangeable based on Motley's post so if I end up needing something Peco doesn't make, sounds like I can get by. I'm reading some...
  10. M

What HO Code 83 Track?

Whoa, that Walthers/Shinohara flex track is pricey! And not super easy to find in stock.
  11. M

What HO Code 83 Track?

I'd like to order some track to play around with. Not wanting to buy something I'll end up replacing later I've been looking at the options and I'm not real sure what I want to go with. I'm thinking along the lines of Code 83 track. Peco and Altlas seem to have very limited options for...
  12. M

Getting Started--how?

Yes, around the room of some sort.
  13. M

Getting Started--how?

We're down to 4 boxes sitting in "my" area. We got all the shelving and work areas set up on the other side. There's a proposal being floated to actually wall off "my" area for a couple different reasons, one of which is to create more wall space. That would give me an 11' 2" x 21' 2" room...
  14. M

Unconventional mortgage?

I requested ours. Like I said, here the listing gets changed to continent whether that's etiquette, custom, rules, whatever but that's how it works here. I learned there are some other customs here people in other parts of the country think are odd too. Anyway, our Realtor hadn't put up the...
  15. M

Getting Started--how?

I wouldn't copy it verbatim, but rather copy the track plan and make changes to suit my interests. Mine would probably be based more in the Midwest for one. Well, that, for me, tells me its not a terrible idea either since I think that's more what I'm interested in.
  16. M

Amtrak, train #30, Capital Limited delays

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2014/10/06/Amtrak-trains-often-trickle-into-Toledo-after-rash-of-delays.html Apparently there is new track construction around Gary area but that has one of the two existing tracks shut down. They were busing people to Toledo last week.
  17. M

Getting Started--how?

I enjoyed the show on Saturday. I'm not sure how the size compares but I thought there was a decent selection of locomotives and rolling stock, some structure kits, and a scattering of other stuff. Very little track and based on what I saw I don't think I'd buy any used track. I spent some...
  18. M

Getting Started--how?

I ended up ordering an NCE Power Cab setup from Litchfield Station which just showed up. I've done a little bottom-of-the-barrel ebay shopping and picked up a new Bachmann GP40 with DCC and 2 cars for $37 and another few cars for another $17 so at least I'll have something to play around with...
  19. M

Building the Andersley Western Railroad

Your layout is really inspiring to this beginner. I'm kind of thinking along similar lines to get started, then later I can add on to one or both ends with loops that would allow for continuous running.
  20. M

Getting Started--how?

Did a little looking at the Digitrax Zephyr or NCE Powercab and it looks like the savings of the essentially dead-end Bachmann system isn't worth it. Is stuff like that likely to be a good buy at a train show? Or is that something I should just order from someone with at least a virtual...

Back